Thursday, October 22, 2009

Grady Live @ The Pawn Shop



Wednesday evening, I got to see Grady play at The Pawn Shop on Whyte ave, which was real nice. I like the venue and it is crawling distance from home, can't beat that.
This was my fifth time seeing Grady perform, and I have to say, they just keeping getting better and better every time I see them. I would estimate about 200 people at the show, it's a small venue, so it wasn't too bad of a turnout for this show.
A-Bomb and I went to this show, he is a huge fan of Gordie Johnson as well, I believe him and I have seen Gordie together at least 10 times, in almost every possible venue in Edmonton. Once again, we weren't disappointed, we timed it perfect, walked in grabbed a couple of beers and BAM, there they are, on stage and ready to rock. And rock they did, opening with the first song from their new album , a song called Whatchewdid, excellent choice for an opening song, then going into Whiskey River. The band was super tight and sounding fucking awesome.
Grady covered songs from all 3 Grady albums and a few Big Sugar songs. I myself am prefering the Grady stuff. The band played for a solid 2 hours and never let up at all, all out balls to wall rock n' roll, my kind of show. My favorite tune of the night, was a new song from Good As Dead called Alberta Bones. There were times during the show, when Gordie would do some amazing shit on the guitar where A-Bomb and I would just look at each other and be like, wow, what the fuck was that, just an amazing guitar player.
I didn't think they played as loud as they usually do, as they are known for being extra loud, but after leaving the show and walking home, my ears were a rining big time, made it a little hard to fall asleep at first. So, ya, they still play fucking loud. All and all an awesome show and will check them out every time they come through town. I give this show a 10 out of 10. Good times!!!!


1 comment:

  1. An absolutely excellent show. I would never slag Big Sugar, but to me, Grady is much more apppealing. I was hard pressed to find a mistake in thier set, very tight. I really enjoyed when they did ZZ tops "Sharp Dressed Man" sung by the girl drummer. She did a great job on that one. I'm glad that Gordie has gone back to playing this high energy blues/rock. At times it felt like he was playing thrash metal. There was just that much energy. To think, he played that whole show with a slide on his finger and didn't use a single effect pedal. Amazing!!! Any true fan of blues and/or rock n roll would be stupid to not check this band out given the chance. Go see Grady people, they are fuckin' straight up awesome.

    ReplyDelete