Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Favorite Shows Of 2006

The year 2006 wasn't a great year for concerts here in Edmonton, though I did manage to see a few good ones.
The first good show of the year I saw was the double bill of Death Cab For Cutie opening for Franz Ferdinand April 25th at the Shaw Conference Centre. I wasn't really a fan of Death Cab For Cutie but thought they were alright, then came headliners Franz Ferdinand and I was really impressed by them. Good show.


On May 20th a Saturday, yay for Saturday shows, I saw the Sam Roberts Band at The Starlite Room which was an awesome venue to see a band like Sam Roberts. It was a sold out show of course, the venue holds about 600-700 people the place was packed and sweaty. He put on a wicked show that rocked all the way through. I am sure at the time he could have played a bigger venue but am very happy that he chose to play The Starlite, one of the best places to see a band in Edmonton. Don't recall if I went with anyone to this show.


June 29th saw Wilco with openers Elliot Brood come through town again to put on another 2 hour plus show.Unfortunatelly we missed Elliot Brood, which is too bad, cause I am now a big fan of them. I went to this show with A-Bomb. What was unique about this show was seeing Jeff Tweedy in a cast for a broken leg, sure didn't stop him from playing a long show, and he didn't even sit down through out the show. It took me a while to notice he had a cast as we had row 2 from the stage, so really couldn't see his legs. Another thing about this show, being that close, was that Jeff Tweedy noticed how bugged out I was at the show, I have to admit, I had an awesome buzz on for this show. Between songs, he actually pointed me out and said I was the most stoned person he had ever seen (in all honesty I was more drunk then stoned), and he had seen more then a few,lol. He also went on to say " that guy has concerts going through his head 24 hours a day" damn Jeff, how did you know.
After telling my brother about this story days later, he managed to find an audio bootleg of the Edmonton show. So, I actually have proof of what he had said to me.
Once again this was an amazing Wilco performance.


Next big good show of the year was on Friday October 6th at Rexall Place, none other then The Who. While I missed out on the hey days of The Who with John Entwistle and Keith Moon, I definitelly wanted to at least see Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey perform together.They also had Ringo Starr's son Zak Starkey on drums.
I wasn't going to go to this show cause tickets were super expensive, but the day before the show I managed to get row 3 on the floor right in the middle, so I splurged and bought Janis and I tickets for the show. I have to say, I am some happy I did too. It was an excellent show with Pete doing the big windmill on the guitar and playing awesome and Roger voice sounding really good and Zak on drums was actually quite good to. They played all their hits you would expect to hear and some new stuff from the album Endless Wire which is what they were touring for. All and all an excellent show.
From what I am reading and hearing now, the half time show they did at this years Super Bowl 2010, that may have been the last time they play together as The Who as Pete's tinnitus is acting up on him again. So I am very glad to have seen this concert.



Another good show for 2006 was Greg Keelor from Blue Rodeo with The Sadies at The Power Plant on The University of Alberta campus grounds. I have been a huge fan of The Sadies since seeing them play with Heavy Trash a few years before. Well, I talked my buddies Mook and Buzzard into checking this show out with me. We saw all of Greg Keelor who was really good, as he also had The Sadies as his back up band which was fucking cool. Unfortunatelly, Mook and I didn't get to see all of the show as we got kicked out of the show. Actually, we didn't get kicked out, more like they wouldn't let us back into the show. Mook and I had stepped out for a smoke and a toke a few times during the evening. Eventually, campus security drove by and gave us the big shakedown saying they were getting complaints about people smoking pot outside the venue. Ya, there were people doing that, but they had to shake us down, checking our pockets and all, finding nothing of course,ha ha!!! We were then told we would not be allowed back in the venue, what the fuck is that. They didn't even catch us, anyways, after they left, of course we tried getting back in as Buzzard was still inside checking out the show. But nope, security kicked us out, so we had to find another bar and drink there til we could hook up with Buzzard after the show.
What I did see of the show, was another great performance by The Sadies.Greg Keelor was good as well.


Other concerts I saw in 2006 were Taj Mahal with Ruthie Foster at The Jubilee Auditorium, The Black Crowes with Matt Mays and El Torpedo at The Jubilee Auditorium, Slayer on The Unholy Alliance Tour with Lamb Of God,Children Of Bodom and Mastodon at The Shaw Conference Centre, Corb Lund with Elliot Brood at The Jubilee Auditorium, Hatebreed at The Starlite Room and finally Guns n' Roses with Sebastian Bach and Helmet at Rexall Place (Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys stole this show when he came out and did his song Liquor and Whores with Axl and the band).
That concludes my favorite shows I have seen over the years. if you are interested in seeing my faves from 1984 - 1994 checkout my old blog by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment