Sunday, March 21, 2010

Old School Album Of The Week For Mar.15th-19th


This weeks album is one I still listen to on a regular basis and an album that should be listened to in its entirety, Roger Waters (bass player and singer/song writer for Pink Floyd) second solo album released in 1987 called Radio K.A.O.S.
It is a concept album, hence needing to listen to it from start to finish. There isn't a bad song on this album, very Floydish of course, yet modern for it's time.
If your interested in what the concept of the album is click here, as I don't have the time or patience to try and explain it. Or more like it, wouldn't know how to explain it.
The whole album is full of great lyrics, but here are a few that really stick out to me.
These from the song called "Who Needs Information"
"
Benny climbed up on a footbridge
And he teetered on the parapet
He said can you see the whites of their headlights
Are they coming yet
"
And then this rant about the dislike of fish from the song called "Sunset Strip"
"Californian Weirdo: I don't like fish.
Jim: You are listening to KAOS here in Los Angeles.
Californian Weirdo: I don't like fish.
Jim: Yes, we've established that. Ah! Do you have a request?
Californian Weirdo: Shell fish, guppy, salmon, shrimp and crab and lobster,
flounder.I hate fish, but I think most of all I hate fresh fish, like trout. I
hate fresh trout. My least-hated, favourite fish would be sole. That way you
don't have to see the eyes.
Sole has no eyes.
Jim: Oh no!
I'd like to be home with my monkey and my dog
"
I fuckin' love this album and see it as a classic. How I wish I could have seen Roger on this solo tour.
I did get to see Roger on his 2007 tour when he did the Pink Floyd classic Dark Side Of The Moon in its entirety. What a fuckin' cool show that was. I went to that show with A-Bomb, while on psychedelics, good times with some awesome music. We ended up walking home from the Coliseum after this show as we were still buzzing.


One of my favorite memories from this album is my buddy Nerraw and I driving around allover town in his yellow VW bug (gutless thing) with a kick ass stereo , that I am sure was worth more then the car its self, anyways, we drove to all the record shops Sound Connection,Southside Sound,The Marquee and a few record stores in malls looking to purchase this album cause we had a dozen beers and a chunk of black and looking to bug out on some wicked tunes, well after hours of driving around, we eventually ended up at Southgate Mall and went into Zellers and found a cassette copy of Radio K.A.O.S. Of all the fuckin' places to find the album, that's where we ended up getting it. We then drove around and drank and smoked our faces off listening to it, that is of course after scouring the Southgate Mall parking lot looking for cigarette butts, so that we could roll our black with it, as neither one of us smoked. Fuckin' good times that was!!!!

Rumour is... is that Roger Waters is going to stage the Floyd classic The Wall again, not sure if it will be a full tour or just some one off shows, but that is something I will travel to go and see.
What I really wish, is that Roger and the remaining memebers of Floyd would bury the hatchet and tour together as Pink Floyd, now that would be cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment