Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Beat Farmers DVD Review



I just picked up this DVD at my local record store Permanent Records here in Edmonton. It is a DVD I didn't know even existed. It is a DVD about the San Diego cowpunk band The Beat Farmers. The DVD is called "Pay-Up Cheaters!, The Story Of The Beat Farmers" released in 2006 by Hawk Circle Productions.

It is a documentary on the band The Beat Farmers, I didn't know a whole lot about the band. I have been a fan of them and knew about lead singer,drummer,guitarist Country Dick Montana passing when he had a heart attack while performing in Whistler, B.C. in 1995.

I had heard lots about their live performances, which is what they were famous for. I never had the chance to see them play live, so this was the next best thing.

The film tells the story about how they came together, with lots of interviews from former members of the band, as well as interviews with celebrities like Dwight Yoakam, Dave Alvin, Steve Berlin of Los Lobos fame, Steve also produced Beat Farmer's first album "Tales Of The New West", Mojo Nixon and disc jockey Dr.Demento who first played them on the radio. The film also has some archival footage of live and television performances. It's an interesting film with some good stories, I just wish there was more live stuff. I would love to see a full concert of the band. Country Dick Montana looked like he really knew how to put on a show, his stage presence was amazing, especially when he got up from the drums and sang lead. Always a beer in his hand, soaking the crowd and really carrying on. There is also a clip of him at the start where he is just wailing away on the guitar, the man was multi talented and would have been a lot of fun to see live. His back up band was excellent as well with Jerry Raney on guitar, Rolle "Dexter" Love on bass and Buddy Blue on guitar and vocals whom passed away in 2006.

I enjoyed the DVD (about an hour and twenty minutes in length) and learned a lot about the band, the only complaint I have is that I wish there was more live footage.







A great cover of Kenny Roger's "Lucille".


No comments:

Post a Comment