Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Rolling Stones - Live In Texas '78 DVD Review



This Rolling Stones DVD that was recorded in 1978 in Fort Worth, Texas is by far my favorite live Stones DVD I have seen. The show was recorded while the Stones were touring for their album "Some Girls". The show was in a smaller venue the "Will Rogers Auditorium" which holds 3,000 people and was billed as "The London Green Shoed Cowboys" which fooled no one. The Rolling Stones were playing mostly football stadiums on this tour with a few side shows in smaller venues, this being one of them.

The first thing I noticed when I started watching this show was Mick Jagger's pants, what the hell were you thinking Mick. They are the most ridiculous things I have ever seen. I thought the show started a little slow, but picked up as it went on, or maybe it was just me not having a buzz on when I first put it on. Regardless, as the show goes on I find them getting stronger and stronger and more and more into it. Mick is actually singing with some conviction, like he really means it. Which, from seeing them live and watching a few other DVD's, most times it looks like the band is just going through the motions, not at this show though.

The Stones do seven songs from the album "Some Girls" in which they were touring for, so that only makes sense. Probably why they seem to be into it so much, having done all the other songs,especially now a days a million times. I am sure it must get boring. The set list for this show is amazing. The "Miss You" is really good, Mick's voice sounds (as does the rest of the band Keith,Ronnie,Charlie and Bill) strong and they stretch out the song with some jamming going on in it. "Imagination " also comes across real good, especially when Mick yells the line "in reality, she don't Fucken' know me" now that's Mick getting his point across. Another song I was surprised to see and hear, one that I have never heard live before is the song "Star Star" better known as "Starfucker". Awesome stuff. The country flavoured song "Far Away Eyes" is quite good as well, which then leads into the blues song "Love In Vain". After that, it's back to Stones songs we have all heard many times before, "Tumbling Dice", "Happy" with Keith Richards doing his part, which is always fun listening to him sing and of course closing out the show with "Brown Sugar" and "Jumpin' Jack Flash". All and all I am really impressed with this DVD. The extras on the DVD is a Mick Jagger interview from 2011, man he looks his age. And some footage from the Rolling Stones on Saturday Night Live in 1978. Footage that I had already seen. I think this is a DVD worth checking out if you are a fan of The Stones. Good stuff!!!





Checkout the t-shirt Mick is wearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment