Friday, January 20, 2012

Old School Album Of The Week Jan.16th-20th



Bringing back an old feature. Old school album of the week. And this week it is the Deep Purple album "Perfect Strangers" from 1984. This was the first new Deep Purple album I had ever bought, as it was their first new album in nine years. I had heard all there old stuff, but when this came out, I was super excited to get my hands on this. The album didn't let me down either. It rocks from start to finish, from opener "Knocking At Your Back Door" (nice song title, guess what it's about?), to the last song "Hungry Daze". This album had the classic line up of Ian Gillan on vocals, Ritchie Blackmore on guitar (last album he ever did with Deep Purple), Roger Glover on bass, Jon Lord on keyboards and Ian Paice on drums.

My favorite tunes and lyrics on the album are.

- Knocking At Your Back Door
"The log was in my pocket, When Lucy met the rocket, and she never knew the reason why"

- Mean Streak
"She drives me crazy gets inside my brain, She spends my money down a drain, So I roll over for my reward, How much can I afford, And she says, Just a little more"

- Perfect Strangers
I love the organ intro and the riff that opens the song.

- A Gypsy's Kiss
"John Wayne The Alamo, Crazy Horse Geronimo, I'll smoke a piece with you, Mind body heart and soul, We got rock n' roll, And there's nothing they can do"

- Hungry Daze
Again this song opens with an awesome riff and organ intro.
"Along the mountain road to do some drinking, and now we are mobile again, Different girls,laughing girls,forever girls, and it's so loud"

I have to say, I still think this album stands the test of time. Lovin' it, like I did back as a teenager when I used to listen to this while I delivered the newspaper at 5 in the morning. Good stuff!!!



In concert news...Deep Purple will be playing in Edmonton on Tuesday February 21st at Rexall Place. The line up for this tour is Ian Gillan on vocals, Steve Morse on guitar (been with the band since 1994), Roger Glover on bass, Don Airey on keyboards (in band since 2002) and Ian Paice on drums.

No comments:

Post a Comment