Wednesday, May 15, 2013

MGMT Live In Edmonton May 12th 2013



On Saturday afternoon my buddy A-Bomb and I went to the MGMT show at the Starlite Room here in Edmonton. MGMT did two sold out shows at the venue on this day, we had tickets for the early show, doors at 5:30, so ya an early show. I believe doors for the late show was 9pm. We were hoping to catch the opening band Kuroma from New York, but unfortunately we missed them as were taking our time walking to the venue swilling some beers.

We did get there in time for MGMT. I honestly didn't know much about either band, I knew who MGMT are and did pick up their first album "Oracular Spectacular" after reading so much hype about it. I have to say I wasn't all that impressed, it's grown on me since but still wasn't a band that I would go out of my way to see. Well, my buddy A-Bomb really liked the band and has been listening to all the slbums, so he asked me if I would checkout the show with him. So I figured I would go, we usually don't fail with most of the shows we attend together, and this one was no different.

I wasn't too sure what to expect, having listened to the album I was thinking this was going to be a synth-pop kind of concert, it wasn't anything like that, this to me was more on the old 60's Pink Floyd era psychedelia. The music by MGMT leans way more psychedelic than synh-pop and it looked to me from the audience reaction that people were expecting more pop then psych. I myself thought the show was good, but short, only a seventy-minute set, and no emotion from anyone in the band at all, other then one smile when someone from the crowd got on stage and hugged buddy not once but twice. Ah, where was security? I don't know there songs all that well, but I did recognize a few from their first album the songs "Time To Pretend", "Weekend Wars" and "Electric Feel". They also did a new song from their upcoming album, this was a song called "Life Is A Lie" which I really liked. The background visuals that played through out the show was pretty cool too. A-Bomb and stayed up front in front of the stage for about twenty minutes before it got way too hot and we ran out of beer. being an all ages show we had to go to the back of the bar to drink, which was fine by me, as I needed a cold one, but the sound was way better the closer you were. All and all a decent show, better then I was expecting. Good times!!!!

Some pictures I took at the MGMT show.



















No comments:

Post a Comment