Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Primus In Edmonton May 28th 2013



Last night my buddy A-Bomb and I went to the Primus concert here in Edmonton at the Jubilee Auditorium, this show was part of the Primus 3D tour in support of Primus' first album in eleven years called "Green Naugahyde".

This was my second time seeing Primus in concert, the first time being at Ozzfest in Vancouver back in 1999.

On this night it was an evening with Primus, with the band doing two sets. We got to our seats which were row AA, since when is row AA, like five rows back, that's just fucked up. Anyways, we got there in time for the show after walking to the venue getting primed for the show.

I have been a fan of Primus since the "Sailing The Seas Of Cheese" days. So I was hoping to hear a lot from that album, as I think that was their best album by far. Yet they only did one song from that album. So many good songs on that album and you only do one, what the hell. I have to say overall I wasn't all that impressed with the show, the 3D stuff was wicked, I see that being the future of shows. But the setlist was terrible, the sound was, as Primus would say "Mud". The vocals were way too low in the mix, actually the whole mix was awful, it all just melded in to each other, very little distinction between the instruments, hell your only a trio, you would think the sound would be better then that. After a while all the songs just started to sound the same as well. It was just one big long thumping bass sound that was more jazzy then anything. The biggest surprise of the evening was Les Claypool's ode to the late great Stompin' Tom Connors, playing a little something by Stompin' but because of the shitty sound, I couldn't tell you what it was he played. Les did mention that he is spreading the word about Stompin' Tom, good on ya Les Claypool.

Primus has always been known as a stoner band, and there was no lack of them kind of people at the show, I saw more then a few people tweaking out during the concert. Especially the four guys a few rows in front of us. At one point during the show they were moshing amongst each other, and this was in a soft seated venue, fuckin' hilarious, and then two of the guys decided to take their shirts off and one of them throwing the shirt on stage. Security eventually did come in and marshed their mellow, there is no doubt this bunch was having a good time, and good on them. All and all not one of the better shows I have been too, but still glad that I went. The 3D stuff is super cool, but I won't be going out of my way to see Primus anytime soon. Good times!!!

Setlist for the Edmonton show.

1.Groundhog's Day
2.Fisticuffs
3.Extinction Burst
4.American Life
5.Stompin' Tom cover
6.Hats Off
7.Lee Van Cleef
8.Eleven
9.Over the Electric Grapevine
10.My Name Is Mud

Encore:
11.Eyes of the Squirrel
12.Dirty Drowning Man
13.Frizzle Fry
14.Southbound Pachyderm
15.Eternal Consumption Engine
16.Jilly's on Smack
17.The Heckler
18.Moron TV
19.Harold of the Rocks

Encore 2:
20.HOINFODAMAN
21.Too Many Puppies

Pictures I took at the show.







T-shirt front.



T-shirt back.





No comments:

Post a Comment