Friday, May 8, 2015

Book Review (Live at the Commodore)


I recently finished reading a book that my brother had bought me for Christmas. The book is wrote by Aaron Chapman and is called Live at the Commodore, The Story Of Vancouver's Historic Ballroom. And just like the title says, it a story about the history of this famous Vancouver concert venue.

The Commodore has been around since 1929 and is still thriving today in the same location in downtown Vancouver on Granville Street. It did close down for three years 1996-1999. But is again up and running hosting concerts on an almost daily schedule.

This book is well written, and tells many a stories about the early days of being a ballroom hosting dances and such, and of course stories of the many bands that have played shows there, including bands such as Nirvana, KISS, Pearl Jam, U2, James Brown, Ween, Tagically Hip and just about every band you could possibly think of. It's a perfect midsize venue holding about a thousand people.

I myself have only seen a handful of shows there myself, which were Steel Panther, Drive-By Truckers and Ween twice. And I have to say it is one of the best venues I have seen a show at, not that I have seen shows in to many places, but yes, it is a great venue. If your not from Vancouver and have a chance to see a show there, do it.

A great book and well worth picking up. The author Aaron Chapman also has another book out about another great club in Vancouver. That book is called "Liquor, Lust and the Law" which is about the Penthouse Nghtclub which is a great strip bar on Vancouver.

A great surprise for me with this book which I didn't realize until I started reading it, is that its an autographed copy. Thanks Bro!!!

1 comment: