Thursday, August 3, 2017

Interstellar Rodeo Day Three July 23rd 2017


So Sunday rolled around and it was time to get down to the Hawrelak Heritage Amphitheatre for day three of Interstellar Rodeo. I have to admit I was feeling a little rough and was dragging my ass. But nothing a few beers and some good music and company can't fix. Day three of the festival was looking to me like the weakest line up of the weekend. But you never know, so away we go.

The first artist of the day was Leonard Sumner. Leonard as been called one of the most important voices of the First Nation roots music scene in Canada. Leonard is another artist that hails from Manitoba. Ya Manitoba was well represented at this years festival. Leonard's music was a mix of spoken word, hip-hop, country and blues, so kind of all over the place. I didn't mind his set, it was alright.

Leonard Sumner.

Next up was Amelia Curran an artist from St. John's, Newfoundland and a Juno Award winning songwriter. I had seen Amelia once before, in 2013 also at Interstellar, but that time she was just playing solo and was an in between bands act. But I enjoyed her then as I did this time around too. Her music is in the folk/rock category, but she looks to be having a lot of fun on stage and her singing is stronger this time around, and she had a full band with her this time too. Amelia recently released her newest album Watershed on Six Shooter Records. I enjoyed her hour long set.

Amelia Curran.

Calgary folk roots band Northern Beauties were the next band to play. I could not get into this band at all.

Northern Beauties.

I missed the in between artists Ensign Broderick and Mustafa the Poet as I was outside having a smoke. It was while I was out having a smoke that I ran in to Parker Millsap, who had joined in on a circle sharing a smoke with some friends. I got the chance to talk with Parker and tell him how much I enjoyed his show on Saturday. Parker was a super nice guy and easy to have a conversation with. And then he was even nice enough to have a picture taken with me. Parker told us about the next band up JD McPherson who was also from Oklahoma. Parker and his band had stuck around the festival an extra day to checkout his friends performance. So now I was excited about seeing JD too.

Parker Millsap and I.

JD McPherson was up next and just in time as I needed a pick me up with some solid rock n' roll. JD McPherson who is from Broken Arrow, Oklahoma plays a style of rock n' roll that is reminiscent of old vintage 50's rock, but with an edge. His performance was kick ass and just what I needed. JD's hour long set was rocking with a great back up band that was tight. The crowd seemed to be getting off on is music too. A great set and another artist that I will be looking further in to. Good stuff!

JD McPherson.

It was just after JD's set that the weather turned for the worse, the wind picked up and blew in a storm that consisted of some hard rain, with lightning and thunder, so much so that they shut the show down for a while, waiting for the storm to pass through. The pouring rain let up about a half hour later and the thunder and lightning passed. What was nice during this down pour was the staff and volunteers walking amongst the crowd handing out ponchos to those that needed them, thank you very much, as I was one of them that did not come prepared for a storm. Very nice gesture on their part.

After the storm, it was time for California native Suzanne Vega to hit the stage. I really know very little about her and didn't stick around to long to get to know her more. Her music was alright but not something I could get in to. I stayed for about half her set and called it a weekend. I was wet from the rain, cold, buzzed and had about enough. Time to go home, after all I had to work Monday morning on top of it. I had no interest at all in seeing Broken Social Scene, again another band that I have just never got in to. So this was the end of another Interstellar weekend for me. Good times!!!

Suzanne Vega.

This years Interstellar Rodeo looked to be another success, I enjoyed myself as I always do at this festival. Six Shooter Records owner Shauna De Cartier put on a great festival, great vibes, great staff and volunteers, great location as always for the festival and some interesting bands. I thought the line up was a bit on the weak side, but that's just my opinion. I had a great time as usual, and was turned on to some new music. The y made a few tweaks at this years festival site which I think were for the better. All and all another fun weekend. The stand out performances for me were Parker Millsap, Leeroy Stagger, Dan Mangan and JD McPherson. See you next year Interstellar Rodeo. Good times!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment