Monday, July 31, 2017

Interstellar Rodeo Day Two July 22nd 2017


After a good night of rest and feeling revived it was off to day two of Interstellar. This time Janis and Erin came with me like they have the past four years, always the Saturday show for them.

We got there early as we wanted to see all that we could. The day started with a band from Winnipeg called Begonia, another band I had never heard of before. Begonia is lead by Alexa Dirks on vocals, their music is a mix of synth, gospel and folk. I have to say, I wasn't all that big on it.

Begonia.

Next up was Parker Millsap an artist from Oklahoma. I had heard a few of his songs on CKUA and recently had seen an episode of Austin City Limits that had Parker on it. I was looking forward to his set as I was really starting to dig his music.

Well, I wasn't disappointed at all with his hour long set. His mix of Americana music, rock n' roll with soulful lyrics and singing and watching him and his awesome band look like they were having fun up on stage made it a great performance. What impressed me most was the range in Parker's voice, at times a whisper and then all out rock n' roll. The man can sing, very very impressed. I'll be picking up his music and following this artist. Great stuff.

Parker Millsap.

The next band up was The Suffers out of Houston, Texas. Their music I would describe as a mix of soul, some funk and Cajun. They were entertaining and had the crowd up and dancing along. Lead singer Kam Franklin had an awesome voice and really knew how to work the crowd. I also really enjoyed the guitar playing of Kevin Bernier and hell he had a cool looking green jean jacket too. All and all I thought they were pretty damn good.

The Suffers.

Up next was Canadian folk singer/songwriter Basia Bulat out of Toronto, Ontario. While I have heard some of her music on CKUA I have never really been a fan of her tunes. Now after seeing her perform live, I have a lot more respect for her music. She was definitely better live then on record in my opinion. She has a great voice and band. Again I was impressed with an artist I didn't think I was going to like.

Basia Bulat.

I missed some of the in between acts like Christine Fellows and Ken Stead as guy needs to eat and step out for a smoke once in a while.

The next main stage act was Winnipeg's John K. Samson and the Winter Wheat. John is a former member of hardcore band Propagandhi and indie rockers The Weakerthans. I wish I knew more about both his former bands but I didn't really follow either. Nonetheless, his new band The Winter Wheat were quite good. The crowd was certainly into them. I enjoyed his set but like I say I wish I was more familiar with his music.

John K. Samson and the Winter Wheat.

The next act up was Leeroy Stagger doing an in between act set. Why he wasn't booked for the main stage I don't understand, but at least he got to play Interstellar. I've been a big fan of Leeroy for years now and this would be my thirteenth time seeing him play. Leeroy's half hour set was excellent with a lot of people checking it out and getting a great response from the audience. Really enjoyed his set.

Leeroy Stagger.

The last act of day two was Toronto musician Serena Ryder. Her music is kind of all over the place with roots, country, folk and rock influences. She knows how to command the stage and crowd. She was very entertaining and had the audience in the palm of her hands through out her performance. I'm not the biggest fan of her but do have to say she put on a pretty good show.

Serena Ryder.

All and all it was a great day of music, eats, drinks and hanging with good people. Good times!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment