Saturday, July 29, 2017

Interstellar Rodeo Day One July 21st 2017


It's been a week already since the Interstellar Rodeo Fest took over the amphitheatre at Hawrelak Park again here in Edmonton. This is the sixth year of the Six Shooter Records curated music festival has happened, and my sixth year of going. I love this festival even when I have no idea who the majority of the bands or artists are. Nonetheless it's always a good vibe and time. Take your chances, and see some and hear some music you may not be familiar with.

This years festival started with Six Shooter Records artist Whitney Rose out of PEI now based in Texas. Well, I can say she was alright, not really my jam, but she was good at what she did, which to me was some honky tonk country. Nothing especially original.

Whitney Rose.

Next up was Dan Mangan from Vancouver. This was an artist I was very interested in finally seeing. I have a few of his albums but always heard he was amazing live, and he certainly was. Dan had a full band backing him up at this show and what a great band they were. Very impressed, at times they reminded me of Wilco a bit. Highlight of Friday night for me.

Dan Mangan.

In between bands they would have an artist play on one side of the stage while they set up for the next act. This time it was Toronto artist Chloe Doucet who has just signed on with Six Shooter Records. Chloe is the daughter of Melissa McLelland and Luke Doucet of Whitehorse fame. I didn't see a lot of her set as it was time to step out for a smoke.

Chloe Doucet.

Headlining the opening night was Aloe Blacc from California. Aloe's music is a mix of 60's pop and 70's soul music that had the crowd up and dancing. A strong voice with some great lyrics. I didn't stick around for the whole set as I was beat after being up since 4am and working all day, it was time to go home and get some rest as there were still two days of music in front of me. Good times!!!

Aloe Blacc.

No comments:

Post a Comment