Friday, January 27, 2023

James Taylor and Jackson Browne Live in Edmonton May 9th 2022

Well, after three years of sitting on these tickets this show finally happened. Originaly scheduled for April of 2020 and having bought the tickets well in advance it was a long wait. I honestly didn't think this show was actualy going to happen. But it did, mind you, when we originaly bought the tickets, the opening act was supposed to be Bonnie Raitt. But after all the postponements and delays, Bonnie Raitt was no longer on this tour. This was a disappointment to me as I was really looking forward to seeing her in concert again. The new opener now was Jackson Browne, which is cool too. I went to this show with Janis and my buddy Buzzard. This would be my second time seeing Jackson Browne in concert. The first time I saw him perform was a solo show, this time around he had a full band with him, which I enjoyed much more then solo. Jackson opened the show with the song "Somebody's Baby". Janis right away piped up saying this song is from the movie "Fast Times At Ridgemount High" and she would be correct on that. I actually had to look that up to see if she was right, and yup, she is. Jackson played for about an hour and sounded great, enjoyed his set very much, especially with a band. Other songs i recall him playing were "Fountain Of Sorrow" and "Late For The Sky" from the album Late For The Sky. It was also nice that he didn't do a lot of preaching about environment issues like he did the first time I saw him. Like my buddy says "I came to hear you play music not preach to me", so thankfully there was very little of that. Jackson Browne is a well known environment activist. James Taylor joined him on stage to play "Pretender" and "Running On Empty" a great way to end his set. Jackson Browne at Rogers Place in Edmonton.
Headlining the night was James Taylor and His All-Star Band. This would be my third time seeing James Taylor in concert. I guess you could say James Taylor's music is a guilty pleasure of mine. His laid back style of music is soothing and so great with a great band backing him up. James just comes across as a very genuine man. His hour and half long set was full of hits like "Sweet James", "Carolina In My Mind", "Fire And Rain" and some cover songs of Carole King "You've Got A Friend" and "Up On The Roof" as well as a Marvin Gaye song "How Sweet It Is (Be Loved By You)" and then during his encore Jackson Browne joined him on stage for the Eagles song "Take It Easy". Early in the show James thanked the crowd for hanging on to their tickets for three years. I thought that was good of him to acknowledge how long we had waited for this show. At 74 years old, Taylor's voice is still very strong. Janis, Buzzard and I all really enjoyed this double bill. Good times!!! James Taylor at Rogers Place in Edmonton.
T-shirt front.
T-shirt back.

No comments:

Post a Comment