Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Murder By Death in Edmonton 03/31/2012



Saturday night my buddy Hurl and I went to New City Legion to see Bloomington, Indiana band Murder By Death headline a show with openers Big John Bates from Vancouver and local band Fire Next Time.

We got there early as I really wanted to see Fire Next Time play. I had seen lead singer James Renton play solo a few times and was looking forward to seeing him play with the full band (Fire Next Time). They didn't disappoint, playing a rocking 40 minute set. The band consists of James on acoustic guitar and vocals (this guy can play and sing) the guitar takes a beating while he plays and the man can sing, lots of emotion and heart, very impressive. A mix between an angry Steve Earle and William Elliot Whitmore. Also in the band and sounding great are Ryan Mick on lead guitar, Laine Cherkewick on banjo, Mikey McCaffrey on bass and rounded out by the big guy on drums Randall Thurman who bangs the drums like a young John Bonham. For an opening band they had a great turn out with a lot of people there early to see this band. The only complaint I have, was I thought the banjo could have been a little higher in the mix.

Fire Next Time.



James Renton of Fire Next Time.





Next on the bill were Vancouver band Big John Bates, led by of course John Bates on guitar and vocals with Bill Dozer on drums and Brandy Bones on the stand up bass. This was my second time seeing them live within the past year. I don't have a whole lot to say about them. Just not really a fan of there mesh of psycho billy blues music. The crowd seemed to really enjoy them, but if it weren't for Brandy on the bass looking good and her antics. I'm not so sure they would be as popular as they are. Not a fan.

Brandy Bones of the Big John Bates Band.



The headliner of the evening were Murder By Death to a packed venue by this time. This was my second time seeing them as well, having seen them open for Gaslight Anthem a few years ago. I was impressed with them then, and to see them play an intimate venue like New City Legion was going to be a treat. With a name like Murder By Death, you might expect a heavy thrash/death metal band, but not here. This is an awesome band that plays a moody country, rockabilly, blues/rock style of music. It's actually kind of hard to describe what they sound like, other then to say they are a very interesting sounding band. Lead singer and guitar player Adam Turla has a unique voice which suits these songs wickedly, Sarah Balliet adds a unique sound as well on cello,(not that I could see her from where I was standing) one of the few rock bands I am sure that incorporates cello in to there music, Dagan Thogerson on drums was good as was Matt Armstrong on bass and Scott Brackett on keyboards and accordion. While I have liked there albums, they are a much better band live. Some of the songs I recognized were "Pizza Party" a short song, "You Don't Miss Twice (When You Shave With A Knife)", "Steal Away", "Ball And Chain" and a cover song of Golden Earing's song "Radar Love". I was blown away by Murder By Death this time and look forward to seeing them again.

While I like the venue, unless you are in the very front of the stage it is damn hard to see anything other then the top of the musicians heads, being in a basement this club, it's got a very low stage cause of the low ceiling. Also, why the venue would leave the big screen and the couple of TV's on showing skate boarding videos while the band is playing is beyond me. That's just plain stupid and lacks respect towards the bands you have booked at your venue. No one was there to watch videos. All and all though, a great night of music. Good times!!!

Murder By Death.







T-shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment