Sunday, April 22, 2012

Record Store Day 2012



Well another Record Store Day has come and gone. It appeared to be very successful again with the record shops here in Edmonton specifically the ones on Whyte Avenue being busy. I walked by Blackbyrd Myoozik before 10am and there must have been at least a hundred people lined up waiting to get in. I don't have the patience for that so I made my way down to Permanent Records for my first stop. They had been open for almost a half hour by the time I got there, it was good to see a decent crowd in there snatching up all the Record Store Day special releases. I missed out on the one record I really wanted, but I did manage to find a few things.

Permanent Records purchases.



* Mclusky - Mclusky Do Dallas on vinyl
* Gary Clark Jr. - Presents HWUL Raw Cuts Vol.1 (a Record Store Day Exclusive release) on vinyl.
* Flaming Lips/Mastodon - split seven inch single in pink vinyl Flaming Lips song "A Spoonful Weighs A Ton" then on the flip side Mastodon covering the Lips song (a Record Store Day exclusive).

At Permanent Records with my purchase I got a nice record bag to carry my albums in.



After getting home and going through the bag, I discovered in the bag a couple of CD compilations and some pins.

The CD's are.
* Metal Blade - 1982-2012 (haven't listened to this yet)
* New West Records - On Air at World Cafe (some good stuff on this)

Next stop was Sound Connection just down the street. This record store is one of the oldest in the city, this is the store where I pretty much started my music collection with. They have been in a few different locations over the years. They for the most part deal in used records and CD's, so I wasn't expecting to find too much here. I did again manage to walk away with a few buys. Still again, couldn't find the one record I was really looking for.

Sound Connection purchases.



* Grateful Dead - Dark Star from the legendary Europe '72 Tour limited edition of 4200 a Record Store Day exclusive.
* White Stripes - Walking With A Ghost (a five song EP with White Stripes covering Tegan and Sara and 4 live tracks, 2 of them recorded in Brazil from 2005 and the other 2 recorded in session on August 15th 2005 at the Village Recorder and broadcast live in Los Angeles on 89.9 KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic
* Metallica - Beyond Magnetic (a 4 song limited edition silver vinyl release)



After Sound Connection I picked up a dozen beers and was making my way home to have an afternoon of listening to new music and a few beers. But, have to stop at Blackbyrd Myoozik first to see if I could get in the store for starters and see if they had the one album I was looking for. Lo and behold they did have a few copies of the Flaming Lips album I really wanted. So now I am stuck in the store that is way over packed and stupidly fucking hot. I stood in line in the store for a good 45 minutes waiting to pay for my record, the whole time I have a dozen beers that are begging to be drunk, some tempting to crack a few while in this damn line up. But no, I was a good boy and toughed it out without having a frosty cold one. While in the line up you had no choice but to look through the record bins, so I walked out of there with a bunch more records then I needed.

Blackbyrd Myoozik purchases.



* Flaming Lips And Heady Fwends (a double marble coloured vinyl a Record Store Day exclusive and the one record that I really wanted)
* Band Of Skulls - Sweet Sour on vinyl
* Hank Williams III - Long Gone Daddy on vinyl, I didn't realize until after that this release was on Curb Records which is the label that Hank just left and has nothing good to say about. I should never have bought this album. It not all that good.
* Neil Young - Dreamin' Man Live '92 on vinyl
* Joel Plaskett Emergency - Truthfully Truthfully on vinyl

As I was paying for my purchases the clerk asked me if I would like a free t-shirt, well of course I would, I love free stuff. Maybe it was to make up for the stupid line up.

T-shirt.



All and all a fun day of buying new music and supporting the local independent record stores. My brother Citrus in Vancouver picked up a few singles I wasn't able to find here, so I am looking forward to getting them in the mail here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment