Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Black Keys with Arctic Monkeys in Edmonton May 12th 2012


To cap off the weekend my buddy Buzzard and I went to the Black Keys and Arctic Monkeys double bill at Rexall Place Saturday night. This was a last minute decision, Buzzard picked up the cheapest tickets we could get, which were in the nose bleeds, but we had a plan.

After a few frosties before the show, we got there in time to catch the openers from England, the Arctic Monkeys. I really liked there first album 'Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not'. So I figured they would be worth checking out. We sat in out shitty seats for the Arctic Monkeys, the band was alright, nothing special, they got a pretty decent crowd reaction, but overall I think they would have been better in a club setting. They played for almost an hour, which is long for an opening band. I knew a few of their songs from the first album, like the song 'I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor' which is where I wish I was. But we stuck it out in the boonies.



Told you our seats sucked for the Arctic Monkeys.

During the intermission, I ran into a co-worker who also works at Rexall (Alex) whom upgraded us to seats on the players bench, which is basically on the floor without the hassles of dealing with knobs. These were great seats to have, maybe 5 of us on the bench, so no one bothering us,and a place to put our drinks without them getting kicked over. As well, you weren't allowed drinks on the floor, so this worked perfect for us. Great seats, sight lines and the sound was good as well.

This was my second time seeing the Black Keys. As I had just seen them 11 months ago here in Edmonton as well. So twice within a year. Where the hell were you guys for the first ten years of your career, nonetheless, here they were again. This time touring for their album 'El Camino'. They played for an hour and a half this time, about 20 minutes longer then last summer and to a few thousand more fans. I would say about 12,000 people.

The Black Keys started the show with a full band this time instead of just the two main guys Dan Auerbach on guitar and drummer Patrick Carney. They opened the show with the song 'Howlin' For You' and 'Next Girl' from their album 'Brothers'. Then of course a few new songs from their latest release. A third of the way through the show, they scaled down to just the two of them for three or four songs. It felt like they were more comftorable with just the two of them on stage and if you can believe it, it seemed more rocking too. One of my favorite songs of the evening was the song 'Thickfreakness' from their 2003 album of the same title. That's some raunchy fuckin' blues playing there. Another highlight for me was the song 'I'll Be Your Man' from their first album 'The Big Come Up'.

The biggest reception of the evening was for the song 'Lonely Boy' people went off during this song, and for good reason, it's damn good song. A great night of music and good times!!! Thanks again to Alex for the huge upgrade in the seats.













Setlist for the Edmonton show.

Howlin' for You
Next Girl
Run Right Back
Same Old Thing
Dead and Gone
Gold on the Ceiling
Thickfreakness
Girl Is On My Mind
I'll Be Your Man
Your Touch
Little Black Submarines
Money Maker
Strange Times
Ten Cent Pistol
Tighten Up
Lonely Boy

Encore:
Everlasting Light
I Got Mine


No comments:

Post a Comment