Sunday, May 13, 2012

Van Halen in Edmonton May 11th 2012


After a tough week of work, it's always nice to unwind with some cold beers and a shit load of live music to checkout on a weekend. Friday night started with slamming some beers and heading to Rexall Place to catch the Van Halen and Kool & The Gang concert.

I must have felt rich on the day tickets went on sale for this show, cause at 170 dollars a piece that's a bit ridiculous, nonetheless, I bought one. Still shaking my head about spending that much. I almost sold the ticket the week of the show after to coming to my senses, but hell the money was already spent, might as well just go.

This was my third time seeing Van Halen in concert but the first time with original lead singer David Lee Roth fronting the band. I have to say, it beats the hell out of the Sammy Hagar led days.

I got to the show in time to catch openers Kool & The Gang, thanks to Chantelle for giving me a ride to the Coliseum. For 170 dollars I wanted to be sure I saw as much as this show as possible. Well, after sitting through about two thirds of Kool's set, that was enough for me, there soul/funk music wasn't my thing, the only song I knew of their's is the song 'Celebration'. Which they closed with of course. While stepping out for a smoke during there set, I ran into a co-worker (Quentin) who was nice enough to buy me a few beers at the show, and the buddy he was with was nice enough to share his mickey of whiskey that he smuggled in. So needless to say I was primed up pretty good for Van Halen.





Van Halen come out to a packed house cranking out the opening song 'Unchained' from their 'Fair Warning' album, from there they proceeded into 'Running With The Devil' a great one two punch to start the set. I thought the band sounded awesome and also thought David Lee Roth sounded quite good. But then he has never really been a great singer, and for 57 years old, I thought he held his own. Eddie Van Halen was on top of his game. Probably the best I have ever heard him play out of the three times I have seen him perform live. Eddie's son Wolfgang did his part and seems to fit in well, as he should being a Van Halen of course, and drummer Alex, well he sounded good too, although I could have done without the drum solo. Drum solos bore the hell out of me, unless of course your name is Neil Peart of Rush.

Van Halen are touring for their album 'A Different Kind Of Truth', their first album studio album together with David Lee Roth in 28 years. An album I think is really good, nothing to original just classic Van Halen party music. The band did four new songs 'She's The Woman','Tattoo','China Town' and 'The Trouble With Never' all the songs went over almost as well as their classics.

The stage set up was pretty generic, no ramps and very few steps, as the guys are getting older I am sure they just don't want to climb steps and jump around anymore. Other then the 12 by 8 foot hardwood floor in the middle of the stagfe for David Lee Roth to shuffle around on, there wasn't much more to the stage. They did have a massive screen behind them that showed all kinds of close ups and some slow motion replays of the few kicks and small jumps that did happen. All and all a good show. I had to bail a tad early as I had to make my way to The Pawn Shop on Whyte Ave to catch Vancouver band Carpenter open for Belvedere. Good times!!!














Van Halen setlist for the show.

Unchained
Runnin' With the Devil
She's the Woman
Romeo Delight
Tattoo
Everybody Wants Some!!
Somebody Get Me a Doctor
China Town
Hear About It Later
Oh, Pretty Woman
Drum Solo
You Really Got Me
The Trouble with Never
Dance the Night Away
I'll Wait
Hot for Teacher
Women In Love
Outta Love Again
Beautiful Girls
Ice Cream Man
Panama
Guitar Solo
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Encore:
Jump

T-shirt front.


T-shirt back.












No comments:

Post a Comment