Monday, May 14, 2012

Carpenter Live at The Pawn Shop May 11th 2012


So after bailing out of the Van Halen concert early Friday night, it was off to the Pawn Shop on Whyte Ave to catch Vancouver band Carpenter. If I had known that Carpenter would be playing the same night as Halen, I would never have bought the damn Van Halen ticket. But what's more fun then rushing out of one show and rushing to another. Two shows in one night is always fun.

Carpenter were opening for Calgary band Belvedere's reunion shows in Alberta on the weekend. I know nothing about Belvedere, and didn't really care to see them after hearing some of their music. But I wasn't going to miss Carpenter. This was my second time seeing Carpenter perform, but this time it was as a three piece with a different drummer. Which was fine, cause they still kicked major ass. Lead singer, guitar player and song writer Daniel Sioui put a lot of energy into his performance and sings with a lot of conviction. I was very impressed once again. The bass player and drummer, whom I am not sure of there names, sorry guys, also were very good too.

I need to thank my buddy Hurl for being so kind as to come pick up my drunk ass from the Halen show and then drop by Buzzard's to get him and get us all to the show in time. We couldn't have timed it any better. We walked up the stairs into the venue and Carpenter hit the stage, perfect timing that was.

Carpenter played about a 40 minute set that rocked all the way through. The crowd was eating it up too, with lots of moshing and singing along, a great crowd out for the show as well.

After the show, Daniel recognized me from a few years ago at my Bro's wedding in Vancouver and thanked Buzzard, Hurl and I for coming out to the show. He was also nice enough to throw me some free swag some Carpenter drum sticks, a plastic shooter glass and a beer cozie, which will get well used. I spent a few bucks and picked up their last album 'Sea To Sky' on vinyl, which is available through Gold Stock Records. Sure hope it's not another year and a half before I see them play again. Thanks for coming out this way Carpenter and hope to see you play again soon. Good times!!!

Some pics of Carpenter performing.






Free Carpenter swag.




Carpenter's 2010 release 'Sea To Sky' on vinyl.



Do yourself a favour and pick up some Carpenter music and see them live if you get the chance. They can be found on Facebook by clicking here.

I just noticed on the poster for this gig that they spelt Carpenter wrong, dumb asses.



No comments:

Post a Comment