Thursday, June 14, 2012

Chris Robinson Brotherhood Album Review



Finally getting around to doing a quick review of the Chris Robinson Brotherhood album 'Big Moon Ritual' that came out last week. For those who don't know, Chris is or was the lead singer of the Black Crowes, whom seem to be on hiatus at the time ,yet again.

This is Chris' third solo album, but his first with this line up in which he is calling the Brotherhood. The album came out on his own label 'Silver Arrow Records'. I picked up the album on vinyl, thank goodness I knew what the cover of the record looked like, cause if you didn't, it would be a hard record to find. There is only the CRB logo on the cover, nothing on the spine of the cover and only in small print on the back of the record is there a web address for Chris Robinson Brotherhood. After tearing the plastic from the record and opening it, I found no song titles,no lyric sheet, and nothing on the labels on the records either.

I have listened to the record from start to finish and have to say I do like it. Being a big Black Crowes fan, I may be a bit biased, as I have always really liked Chris Robinson's voice, the man can sing the blues, much like I think Gregg Allman can.

The album is a mellow affair, with a big Grateful Dead influence. I believe some of the songs are old blues cover tunes, but I could be wrong. I haven't researched that fact yet. I am thinking this album would be great come down music from a hard night of being up to no good, or a good Sunday morning listening session. This is true hippy rock n' roll to the core. All and all, I am liking the album.

In September there will be a companion album to this called 'The Magic Door', looking forward to hearing what that will be like. Here is hoping the band can make their way up to Edmonton, doubtful, sure would be a treat to see them play here.







No comments:

Post a Comment