Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Deer Tick and Turbo Fruits in Edmonton June 2nd 2012



Saturday Night my buddy Buzzard and I went to The Novaks/Turbo Fruits/Deer Tick concert at the Starlite Room here in Edmonton. A great venue for a great band (Deer Tick).

We missed the opening band The Novaks, but were sure to be there in time to catch the Turbo Fruits whom hail from Nashville, Tennessee. I knew very little about this band, but saw the name of the band and thought I have to see what these guys are about. They were alright, nothing special, I wouldn't go out of my way to see them again, but they didn't suck either. Straight up rock n' roll, lots of energy and a fun band to watch and listen to. The highlights for me were when a couple of the guys from Deer Tick came out and played with the band.

Turbo Fruits.









Drummer Dennis Ryan of Deer Tick sitting in with Turbo Fruits.





The real reason I was at this show was to catch Rhode Island band Deer Tick play. This was my first time seeing them live and Deer Tick's second time playing in Edmonton. The first time being at last years Edmonton Folk Fest, in which John McCauley mentioned, saying he liked playing in bars much better, as he isn't much of a daytime person. My brother got me into Deer Tick a few years ago, and I have become a big fan of the band since.

I had heard and read a lot about lead singer John McCauley of Deer Tick and his stage antics in concert, from drinking lots and giving it his all during his performance, and he didn't disappoint at all in either. Deer Tick opened with the song The Bump from their 2011 album 'Divine Providence'. John has got such a distinctive voice, I loved it. While watching the show, I got to thinking that his presence and voice kind of reminded me of Nirvana. Not that he sounds like Kurt Cobain, just how he gives er', plays a sloppy but good kind of guitar style. I almost think that Deer Tick is one break or hit single away from exploding like Nirvana did. As I was thinking this during the show, what do they do, they break in to a Nirvana cover. One of three covers they performed on this evening. The others were a Replacements cover and the Beastie Boys song '(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party!)'.

Deer Tick played for close to two hours to a very enthusiastic crowd with no encore, other songs played were 'Funny Word' in which a member of the Turbo Fruits came out and played the cowbell "more cowbell", 'Main Street', 'Easy' and 'Dirty Dishes' those are the ones I remember off the top of my head. During the course of the show the band were swilling beers through out, I think lead singer actually drank more beer then I did this night. As the show went on it got a looser and a little sloppier but in a good way. I also liked how there was lots of interaction between Turbo Fruits and Deer Tick with both bands joining each other during there sets. I also enjoyed how each member of Deer Tick had there chance to sing lead vocals, very cool, and all were excellent. To close out the night the last two songs were the Beastie Boys cover and then the great drinking sing 'Let's All Go To The Bar', a great way to wind down your set. The sold out crowd tried hard to get the band to come out for an encore but to no avail. An awesome night of music in a hot and sweaty bar. Good times!!!

















Turbo Fruits sitting in with Deer Tick.



A video I found on youtube of the last two songs of the show here in Edmonton.



T-shirt front.



T-shirt back.



No comments:

Post a Comment