Saturday, June 23, 2012

Tedeschi Trucks Band In Edmonton June 22nd 2012



Last night my buddy Buzzard and I went to the Tedeschi Trucks Band concert at the Jubilee Auditorium. For those who don't know, the band is a husband/wife collaboration. Susan Tedeschi on vocals and guitar and Derek Trucks on lead/slide guitar, as well as 9 or 10 other musicians backing them up including the horn section, which myself, I could have done without, at least the horn section wasn't overwhelming. Susan has got an awesome voice, sings with lots of grit and emotion. Then there is Derek Trucks whom I think is the second coming of Duane Allman. Absolutelly unbelievable on guitar, you couldn't help but get lost in his guitar playing. Susan was damn good herself.

I didn't know their music well enough to know the song titles, as I only have their live album "Everybody's Talkin'" (on triple vinyl) which I bought three weeks ago but wouldn't listen to it til after I saw them perform for myself. I have to say now, I am sure glad I picked it up. I am sitting here listening to it now reliving last night's expereince. Great album, but as per usual, much better when you are there in person seeing and listening.

My favorite part of the show was about the third song in, when there were no vocals and Derek Trucks lets er' rip, straight up rocking blues, blew my fucking mind how talented this man is. All and all this was an awesome show of blues rock with a touch of jazz thrown in, great jams that extended most songs in to 10-12 minute songs. The band played for about two hours with a short intermission after the first 40 minutes. Enough time to step out for a smoke and grab a cool one. This is a band I would surely go out of my way to see live again. If you are a fan of the Allman Brothers Band this is a band you must see. Good times!!!

















T-shirt from the show.





No comments:

Post a Comment