Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Big Sugar Live In Edmonton Sept.2nd 2012



On Sunday my buddies Hurl,Cuz, Buzzard and I made our way down to the legislature grounds here in Edmonton for the centennial celebration of the Alberta Legislature building. To celebrate, they held an outdoor concert on the grounds that featured country artist Brent Kissel,rockin reggae band Big Sugar and headlining, another country artist Paul Brandt. The reason we went down was to catch Big Sugar.

When I woke up Sunday and looked outside, it didn't look like it was going to be a very nice day for an outdoor show. It was rainy,windy,cold and very gloomy looking. Wasn't looking like a very nice day, but this wasn't going to stop us from seeing Big Sugar play a free show. After all it was two years ago that Hurl and I saw Big Sugar play a free outdoor show as part of the Grey Cup celebrations here and that day it was in the double minus digits, so this shitty weather wasn't going to stop us from having a good time.

We got there early as I had heard that Big Sugar was supposed to be on at 7:30, but that wasn't the case. We ended up having to sit through the opener Brent Kissel. I was always told, if you have nothing good to say, don't say anything, so I am not saying a word about Brent Kissel.

After a short break Big Sugar hit the stage opening with 'Diggin' A Hole'. This being my thirteenth time seeing Big Sugar in concert, I've come to know what to expect from Gordie Johnson and the boys. It is going to be a set of some loud guitar of rock n' roll, mixed with some blues and reggae bounce. Some of the other songs they played in their short 45 minute set were 'If I Had My Way', 'Nicotina (She's All That)', 'Better Get Used To It', 'Turn The Lights On', 'All Hell For A Basement' a crowd favorite especially here in Alberta. Big Sugar also played a new song called 'Eliminate Ya!' a heavy on the reggae kind of song. It is actually a cover song by an artist named Al Tuck. Big Sugar closed out their set with the song 'The Scene' that segued in to our National Anthem 'O'Canada', a wicked instrumental version. A good set, short but still good. By the time Big Sugar were done, the crowd behind us had swelled to a decent turnout. With the weather taking a turn for the better, it cleared up nice during Big Sugar's set and the wind died down to nothing, it ended up being a beautiful fall evening for an outdoor concert. we left before headliner Paul Brandt came on as I and my buddies had no interest at all in seeing or hearing him. Good times!!!

What I really wish is that Gordie Johnson would put out some new music and tour with his Texas band Grady. Maybe all these Big Sugar dates he has been doing over the past two years will help him finance a new Grady album and tour. Here is hoping that happens. The sooner the better. I think Big Sugar has run its course. Don't get me wrong, I still like Big Sugar and if you get the chance to see them perform do it. But I am more a fan of Grady these days. Now that is some crazy ass rock n' roll.








In concert news...Big Sugar will be coming back through town on Monday October 29th at the Starlite Room.

No comments:

Post a Comment