Monday, September 24, 2012

John Fogerty Live In Edmonton Sept.22nd 2012

On Saturday night my buddy Buzzard,Charlene and I went to the John Fogerty concert at Rexall Place here in Edmonton. i was quite hesitant about going to this show as I have never been a big fan of John's old band Creedende Clearwater Revival, but have liked some of his solo material. I took the chance and bought the ticket from Buzzard. Only to find out a few weeks later that there were two other good shows announced for the same evening. Them being Joel Plaskett in St.Albert and Anthrax and Testament at the EEC. Regardless I committed to the Fogerty show. But then I heard that Lukas Nelson & Promise Of The Real(Willie Nelson's sons band) were opening the Canadian dates. That stoked my interest in the show, as I have really got into Lukas' music just recently. But then I find out a week before the show here that Lukas wouldn't be playing the Edmonton show as he would be playing the Farm Aidconcert down in the States,piss me off.

Saturday's night concert was just an evening with John Fogerty, no opening band. The show was good with a great turn out, a crowd of about 10,000 people with Fogerty playing for two solid hours. After about 40 minutes I realized what I already knew, I just am not a big fan of CCR. Maybe it's cause I grew up on the music, hearing my parents play it when I was a little kid. And you know your not supposed to like your parents music,right,lol. John and his back-up band were good, the songs sounded good. John played the classic CCR album Cosmo's Factory in its entirety, an album that I can actually tolerate. What did surprise me about John's concert was all the flashiness of the fireworks and flashes and big screens on each side of the stage. I was expecting a more stripped down rock n' roll show. And with the shitty seats I had for the show, it felt like I was watching a concert on DVD. I much prefer having seats closer to the stage where I can actually see the musicians without the help of a TV screen.

Nothing against John Fogerty or his music, like I say he put on a good rock n' roll show of 70's swampy southern rock. I'm just not that in to his music. For those that do enjoy his music, I am sure you walked away saying it was an amazing show. I myself, wish I had gone to one of the other two shows that were happening on this Saturday night.








No comments:

Post a Comment