Saturday, September 22, 2012

Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros Live in Edmonton Sept.18th 2012


On Tuesday night my buddy A-Bomb and I went to the Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros concert here in Edmonton at the Edmonton Events Centre. The opening band for the show was Clap Your Hands And Say Yeah. We caught the last 3 songs of Clap Your Hands set and have to say I didn't like them at all. We were there to see Edward Sharpe, as this was the first time for both of us catching this band live.

A-Bomb is the one that got me in to this band about a year ago. Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros are a 12 piece band from Los Angeles, in which there is no one in the band by the name of Edward Sharpe. I didn't realize how popular this band til I got to the show and realized it was almost sold out, so about 1500 people at the show would be my guess.

Edward Sharpe remind me a lot of another large band called Polyphonic Spree. Unlike Polyphonic all the members in Magnetic play an instrument. Both these bands almost seem like a cult kind of band, a hippie communal kind of thing. I found Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros to play an uplifting spiritual style of music. The band is touring for their latest release called Here that came out in May. Although the album is good, their music is way better when it is performed live.

After an hour wait between bands (felt like for fuckin' ever) it was time for Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros. As the band came out on stage it really hit you how big this band is, it took a while to get all 12 members out, and then the stage looked really small with that many people on it. The band sounded good a few blips here and there which I guess can be expected with that many members. Lead singer Alex Ebert sounded good even if he does look like he just scraped himself up off a street corner, also Jade Castrinos who sang both lead and background vocals added a whole other element to the band, she has a beautiful voice, coming off all shy while she sings. I don't know the song titles of their songs all that well but some of the songs I did recognize during their hour and a half set were 'Carries On', 'Fiya Wata', 'One Love To Another', 'Man On Fire', 'I Don't Wanna Pray', and their big single from their last album the second last song of the evening 'Home'.

This was a great show with everyone in to the music big time, lots of small circles of hippies through out the venue doing there hippy dance. I think the best way to see this band would be in an outdoor festival setting. All and all, Good times!!!







2 comments:

  1. That was a genuinely interesting and informative article to read, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much and thanks for checking out the blog.

    ReplyDelete