Sunday, January 24, 2010

Old School Album Of The Week For Jan.18th - 22nd



This week I pulled out some old school boogie blues music from the British blues band Savoy Brown, led by Kim Simmonds on guitar. The album I picked is called A Step Further that was released in 1969 on Decca Records.
A good friend of mine BZ introduced me to this band about 20 years ago. Sitting around at his place bugging out to the Savoy Brown album Jack The Toad which is fuckin' awesome.
I just picked up this album A Step Further about a month ago, I had never heard it before but have to say it's a pretty good representation of the band. Side One is recorded in the studio( four songs) while Side Two is a live recording of one song (Savoy Brown Boogie) that is 22 minutes long, that includes pieces of Feel So Good, Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On, Little Queenie and Purple Haze recorded in Edmonton, London May 12th 1969. Live is the way to hear them, they rip it up some fucking good.
My favorite memories of The Savoy Brown Band other then tripping to them with BZ is getting to see them perform at The City Media Club (July 1st 1994) which was a cool intimate club on 99st. below the old IGA grocery store. The place couldn't have held more then 100 or so people. Awesome venue to see a band like Savoy Brown. I went to that show with Earl and BZ, a good time was had by all.
If you are new to Savoy Brown I recommend checking out his albums Jack The Toad and Hellbound Train. Savoy Brown are still touring these days and would love to see them come through town again.

No comments:

Post a Comment