Saturday, January 9, 2010

Old School Album Of The Week For Jan.4th - 8th


This weeks album is the debut from J.J. Cale called Naturally released in 1971. This is an artist I didn't get into until my late teens when I kept seeing his name on song writing credits from artists like Eric Clapton (Cocaine,After Midnight),Lynyrd Skynyrd (Call Me The Breeze,Bringing It Back),The Band (Crazy Mama) as well as Tom Petty,Gaye Delorme and Santana have covered his songs. I finally thought I need to hear what the originals are really like.
The first album of J.J.'s I got was his album called Naturally. And what a great album this is. It's got a very laid back feeling with some cool guitar playing (another very underrated guitarist). My favorite songs on this album would be Call Me The Breeze,Clyde (which has some cool guitaring and fiddle in it and an awesome bass line) and Bringing It Back (a song about smuggling some Mexican pot across the border) all and all there isn't a bad song on the whole album.
It's no wonder so many artists have covered his songs, as he is a great song writer and guitar player. he is in his 70's now and still kicking out the albums, like last years Roll On which is also a great album.
I have yet to see him perform live, I hope I get my chance before he leaves us.
"Naturally" is well worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment