Friday, January 22, 2010

Vampire Weekend Album Review


The first new big release of 2010 was Vampire Weekend's second album called Contra that came out on January 12th.
Now, I have given this album a listen about a half dozen times and have to say I think it sucks. It's no where near as good as their first album that came out in 2008 I really liked their debut album so I was excited to hear some new music from Vampire Weekend. What a huge disappointment it is. It seems like the band is trying to hard to do too much, it just sounds to my ears anyways, like a big mish mash of lots of ideas but none of them coming across very well.
There are a few good songs, my faves being a song called White Sky (very Paul Simon like, Graceland era)I like the oohh's and ahhh's in it. Another good song is Holiday, and 2 other songs Taxi Cab and Cousins are alright.
I would give this album a 4 out of 10. Another thing, whats with the shitty album cover?
Vampire Weekend will be playing The Edmonton Events Centre March 14th, the show is sold out.

3 comments:

  1. You're right, it's not nearly as good as the 1st record. At times it sounds too busy. But it has a few gems, like the Contra song at the end. As for the artwork, i dig it. It goes along with their aesthetic. It's got a vague, artiness to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I really like this offering by Vampire Weekend. The tinker toy feel really works for me. I especially like "Diplomats Son" You should see me work the hard wood floor in my basement suite to this song. Definately more of an electronic feel. Anyone wanna go to the circus???

    ReplyDelete