Thursday, January 28, 2010

Steve Earle In Edmonton,AB.



On Tuesday night January 26th Janis,BZ and I went and saw Steve Earle play at The Jubilee Auditorium with opener Hayes Carll whom I missed,as I was having a few beers before the show.
This was my sixth time seeing Steve Earle perform in concert, but the first time I have seen him without his back up band The Dukes. This night it was just Steve and his guitar.
Last year he put out an album called Townes, which is a tribute to the late Townes Van Zandt whom died in 1997.The album is Steve playing nothing but Townes songs. While the album is alright, it's kind of a dark album of blues songs.I have found it hard to listen to the whole album from start to finish.He did play Pancho & Lefty from said album, which is a really good song.
Well the show Tuesday night was pretty much all of that album with a few other songs of his own.His voice sounded good and guitar playing was good. While I understand playing some of your new album, playing the whole damn thing got really boring. It was a real slow moving concert. Some of the banter between songs were interesting and funny, with stories about him and Townes hanging together. To me, the show should have been billed as a tribute show to Townes. I was hoping to hear some of his classics. He did play the obligatory Copperhead Road, but it seems he is sick of playing it, it sure came off like that, which is fine, cause I am sick of that song too. There is so much more to him then that damn song.
After the show, I heard a lot of people grumbling about the show, so I wasn't the only one not much impressed.
The last time I saw Steve was in 2003 at Red's, which was a good show. The show really lacked without the Dukes backing him up. The show wasn't sold out either, only 1400 people, Steve comes through town a lot and was last here in the summer at The Folk Fest. Maybe a bit of overkill for this market.
Overall a disappointing show, I would give it a 5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment