Sunday, May 30, 2010

Old School Album Of The Week For May 17th-21st


This weeks album is an album and band my friend Buzzard turned me onto while sitting around his place swilling beers in the early 90's. It's the double live album "Waiting For Columbus" by the band Little Feat released in 1978 on Warner Records. They play a fusion of styles of soul/funk/blues/southern rock kind of music. This was a great album to pick to be introduced to the band Little Feat. I have found after listening to their live albums and studio ones, they were a band that had to be seen and heard in concert. Their studio albums are good but don't do them any justice compared to the live experience. The album comprised from seven shows, four in London and three in Washington.

The band is lead by the late Lowell George on guitar/vocals, Paul Barrere on guitar/vocals, Richard Hayward drums/vocals and Bill Payne on keyboards. The whole band shared in writing and singing duties as you would notice listening to the album.

While I like the whole album, my favorite songs on the album is the humorously titled song "Fat Man In The Bathtub", I love these lyrics in the song.

"Don't want nobody who won't dive for dimes
Don't want no speedballs 'cause I might die tryin
Throw me a line, throw me a line
Cause there's a fat man in the bathtub with the blues
"

"Oh Atlanta" is another great song with some good boogie piano in it and a good bass groove through out.

"Spanish Moon" is a song that is about a bar called Spanish Room, sounds like it was an interesting bar. Lyrics like this, make you wish you could be there, well sorta kinda,lol.

"Well I Stepped Inside, and Stood By the Door
While a Dark Girl Sang, and Played the Guitar
There Was Hookers, and Hustlers, Filled Up the Room
I Heard About This Place They Call the Spanish Moon
"

"Whiskey, and Bad Cocaine
Poison Get You Just the Same
And If That, That Don't, Kill You Soon
The Women Will Down At the Spanish Moon
"
It's a good blues song with The Tower Of Power on the horn section, good stuff!!!

Side three of the album consists of only three songs, but not a bad song on this side. Starting with "Dixie Chicken"
"Yeah well, we made all the hot spots
My money flowed like wine
And then that low-down Southern whiskey
Began to fog my mind
"

Next is the song "Tripe Face Boogie" a good blues boogie song with some weird, yet cool keyboard shit going on, that turns into a bit of a jam band kind of thing.
"You bring your guitar and I'll bring the wine
We'll blow out our speakers, just one more time
"

The last song on side three is "Rocket In My Pocket", no guessing here what he has in his pocket.
"I Put On My Dancin' Shoes
We Headed Straight For the Rhythm and Blues
The Music Was Hot, But My Baby Was Not

I've Got a Rocket in My Pocket, I Said Rocket
Ya Fingers in the Socket
Fingers in the Socket, Fingers in the Socket
"

Side four is actually awesome too, the album gets stronger as it goes on.It opens with the truck driver song "Willin", a slow moving blues song with some great lyrics by Lowell George.
"I've been from Tuscon to Tucumcari
Tehachapi to Tonapah
Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made
Driven the back roads so I wouldn't get weighed
And if you give me: weed, whites, and wine
and you show me a sign
I'll be willin', to be movin'

I've been kicked by the wind, robbed by the sleet
Had my head stoved in, but I'm still on my feet and I'm still... willin'
Now I smuggled some smokes and folks from Mexico
baked by the sun, every time I go to Mexico, and I'm still
"

"Sailin' Shoes" is yet another great song.
"Lady in a turban, cocaine tree
Does a dance so rhythmically
She's cryin', and a singin' and having a time
and gee that cocaine tree look fine
"

"You've got to put on your sailin shoes
Put on your sailing shoes
Everyone will start to cheer
When you put on your sailin' shoes
"
Hmm, wonder if it's the shoes or the blow that make them Sailin' Shoes.

The album ends with the song "Feats Don't Fail Me Now" an all out boogie rock n' roll song. What an awesome live album. And the album cover art, wow, that's one sexy looking tomato,lol. Another really good Little Feat album worth checking out is Feats Don't Fail me Now. I am sure that will come up sometime as old school album of the week.



No comments:

Post a Comment