Friday, May 28, 2010

The Sadies w/ The Pack A.D. 05/27/10


Last night at The Starlite Room in Edmonton was The Sadies with The Pack A.D. concert which I was lucky enough to see, as I won tickets for this show through Vue Weekly magazine. Thanks Vue!!!

The show started with openers The Pack A.D. from Vancouver who are a two piece band consisting of Maya Miller on drums and Becky Black on guitar and vocals. I wasn't really expecting much from this band as I have heard a few songs from their myspace site and can't say I really much cared for what I had heard. I was at the show early so I ended up catching their set. I was pleasantly surprised by how good they were, not excellent by any means, but way better live then on album. I thought Maya on drums was quite good as she wails on them drums like there is no tomorrow. They aren't all that original, but am glad I finally did get to see them. I have a friend in Vancouver (Scotty) who has been hyping them for quite sometime now and had been urging me to check them out. The crowd seemed to be into them a lot as well. I would give The pack A.D. a 7 out of 10.







Next up was the headliners The Sadies a four piece band from Toronto who play a psychedelic/countrified/surfabilly kind of music. This was my seventh time seeing them play live and once again they didn't let me down. They are on tour for their newest album that just came out in the past few weeks, the album is called Darker Circles and I highly recommend picking it up. The band is lead by the Good Brothers. Dallas Good on guitar and Travis Good also on guitar and fiddle.

This band never ceases to amaze me in concert. I was only able to catch an hour and twenty minutes of their set as I had to catch a bus home and damn work the following day. I hate when work gets in the way of a good time. The Sadies are known to put on 3 hour shows and by the time I left it seemed like they were just starting to get rolling. What I did see was pure magic playing lots of songs from their new album such as Postcards,Whispering Circles, Another Day Again a very Pink Floyd like song and they also played one of my favorite Sadies songs Higher Power in which Travis breaks out the ol' fiddle and fuckin' gives er', that song always gets the crowd dancing and shaking what they got. I know I was!!!

I am always impressed with how Travis and Dallas feed off each other and take turns singing. And drummer Mike Belitsky and stand up bass player Sean Dean sounded good as usual. Another amazing Sadies show, just wish I could have stayed for the whole show. Oh why couldn't this show be on a weekend damn it.

Anyways, I give The Sadies live performance a 10 out of 10.







1 comment:

  1. I give your review a a 2/10.
    The Sadies fucking rule, but The Pack AD is the shit.

    You're probably just a jealous girl that can't get behind how rad they are because you'd never have an ounce of that much awesome in you.

    ReplyDelete