Thursday, May 20, 2010

Thorogood In Concert



Last night May 19th, my buddy Hurl and I went to the George Thorogood concert at The Jubilee Auditorium here in Edmonton. This was my seventh time seeing him play live and first time since 1999 at Red's.

Thorogood no longer has Delaware Destroyers as his back up band, now they are just called the Destroyers. George played to a sold out crowd, which kind of surprised me, as tickets were a bit on the pricey side. But again, I got to see this show for free. Thanks to my girlfriend Janis whom won tickets to the show from The Edmonton Sun, thanks Sweetie :)

As for the show itself, well, if you have seen him once you know what you are in store for. His show hasn't changed one iota from the first time I saw him(1988). He played what you would expect, Bad To The Bone, One Bourbon,One Scotch, Who Do You Love, get A Haircut, Born To be Bad nothing out of the ordinary. George still plays the guitar good, sounds good, but man, change up the between song banter, shit, you have been saying the same things for how many years now.

To me Thorogood should be seen in a bar or at an outdoor fest to really get a good feel for what his show is about. It's hard to have a good time, when you can't dance or even have a drink in your hands when you are sitting in a soft seat venue. Not that really stopped most of the crowd from dancing, they were standing pretty much right from the get go.


I did checkout the merchandise at the show, not that I really wanted another Thorogood t-shirt, but had to have a look. What I did get though, was an autographed album, his latest release The Dirty Dozen on vinyl.

What I would like to see at a George concert is him play the acoustic guitar for a change and maybe some new songs, but from what I understand he is no longer going to put out any more new music. So if you haven't seen him play live before, I recommend checking him out, if you have seen him before, well you know what your going to get.


I would give this show a 6 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment