Sunday, April 18, 2010

Record Store Day Purchases


Saturday April 17th was Record Store Day, a celebration of independent record stores. I managed to get out and visit a few of the local record shops here in Edmonton. It was good to see the shops busy all day.

I made my way to the record shops on Whyte Ave, my first stop was Blackbyrd Myoozik, I was there bright and early 10am, and the place was already packed with customers searching out the special record day limited edition releases. Unfortunately most of the special releases never made it up to Canada or there orders didn't make in time for Saturday. I did find a few interesting things though.

At Blackbyrd I got the new Pavement release Quarantine The Past: The Best Of Pavement. This release is a special limited edition Record Store Day version with different art work and track listing then the original version that came out a month ago.




Also at Blackbyrd I found an Elvis Costello 7" single released for Record Store Day. It is a limited edition release, not sure how many were put out, but mine is numbered 1126. The single is called Live At Hollywood High Side One has the song Pump It Up and Side Two has Lip Service and Waiting For The End Of The World.




My next stop was Megatunes which was also very busy. At Megatunes I got another Record Store Day special release, a limited edition John Lennon Singles Bag which is a pretty cool package containing 3 seven inch singles (Single One has Mother on side one and backed with Why, Single Two has Imagine backed with It's So Hard, Single 3 has Watching The Wheels backed with Yes, I'm Your Angel) all the singles have the original artwork also in the package are three postcards,a 24X36 poster of John and Yoko and it also came with an adapter to play the singles,overall a very cool package, it too is a limited edition release of only 7000, mine is numbered 6859.







My last stop of the day was at Sound Connection which wasn't quite as busy as the other shops but still is a classic record shop for used vinyl. Though they didn't have any of the special releases for Record Store Day as they didn't get there order in time. Talking to the owner there Steve is always good, as he is a super nice guy, he told me to drop in early next week and see if he got any of the special releases. While at Sound Connection I did mange to buy a few old records. here is a list of what I picked up.
- The Royal Court Of China - Self Titled album released in 1987
- Sir Douglas Quintet - Rio Medina released in 1984
- Sir Douglas Quintet - Quintessence released in 1982
- Wet Willie - The Wetter The Better released in 1976

All and all, another successful Record Store Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment