Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Band Of Skulls with High Kicks in Edmonton June 1st 2014


On Sunday evening I made my way to the Union Hall venue here in Edmonton to catch the Band Of Skulls and High Kicks double bill. This is a venue I haven't been to since the mid nineties when it was called the Thunderdome. I wasn't sure what to expect of it, as they have just started putting on shows there again in the past year or so. It turned out alright actually, it's not a bad venue.

The first band of the evening was a band called High Kicks from Calgary. I had never heard the band before this show, but can tell you this surely a band I would go see again for sure. They are two piece band with Danny Vacon on bass and Matt Doherty on drums. Danny also has a band called The Dudes, whom I had seen before, I have been a fan of them and have always found Danny's voice to be quite good. The High Kicks play a fuzzed out bass heavy loud type of rock n' roll, lots of energy and some great songs. They opened with the song "Good Life" which was a great way to start the evening, winning the crowd over the right away. Also kudos to drummer matt, whom broke his collar bone just ten days ago, yet was still able to beat the shit out of his drums. If you like High Kicks, chances are you would like the Edmonton band Whitey Houston who are also a two piece bass and drum band, and have been around for many years.

High Kicks at Union Hall.


The headliner of the night was British rockers Band Of Skulls who are touring for their third and newest release "Himalayan", which is another great album. This three piece band rock it out in a 70's kind of way. This was my fourth time seeing the band in concert and again they put on another stellar show. The new tunes fit in with their older songs really good. I find they sound better live then on record, although there is nothing wrong with their records either. Matt, Emma and Russell just seem to be getting tighter and better each time I see them perform.

I wasn't so sure about choice of venue for the show, but have to say it was better then I was expecting, decent sight lines and I found the sound to be real good, even for the opening band. But why is there always a couple of meat heads in the crowd. Like the guy that had to show his buddies the tattoo on his ass, classy buddy classy. All in all a great night of live music. Good times!!!

Band Of Skulls at Union Hall.


Band Of Skulls setlist.

Asleep at the Wheel
Himalayan
You're Not Pretty But You Got It Goin' On
I Know What I Am
I Guess I Know You Fairly Well
Patterns
Brothers and Sisters
Bomb
Toreador
Bruises
Cold Fame
Blood
Hoochie Coochie
I Feel Like Ten Men, Nine Dead and One Dying
The Devil Takes Care of His Own
Hollywood Bowl

Encore:
Sweet Sour
Light of the Morning
Death by Diamonds and Pearls

T-shirt.


Record I picked up at the show.


No comments:

Post a Comment