Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Band Of Skulls Album Review


On a visit to Megatunes recently I picked up an album by a band called Band Of Skulls (released on Shangrila Music). I had seen the album a few times and a friend of mine (A-Bomb) had mentioned it was pretty good. I mostly bought the album cause of the name of the band and the cool album cover. With a name like Band Of Skulls, I was expecting some heavy music, but to my surprise it really isn't.
They are a 3 piece band from Southhampton,London that have been together as band Of Skulls since 2008, this being their debut album. The band consists of Matthew Hayward on drums,Russell Marsden on guitar and vocals and Emma Richardson on bass and vocals.
The album is called Baby Darling Doll Face Honey, cool album title I think. It's got a great mix of some rocking tunes and some slower almost ballad like songs. Some of the more rocking tunes kind of remind me of the White Stripes, there is also some great harmonies happening in the songs.
The stand out tracks to me are Death By Diamonds (quite White Stripe-ish), Patterns,Bombs,Light In The Morning(another White Stripe-ish song),Cold Fame (a great break up song) and my favorite track I Know What I Am.
My favorite lyrics on the record are from the song Cold Fame
"no one wants to hear you're breaking up,it wasn't long ago we sang start me up,now all your dreaming will have to wait, what you deserve you'll anticipate, play your 45 records late at night,open up the windows turn on the light,and mysterious creatures will fill the room, a midnite show just put on for you, but I still fall from grace with this microphone, how'd you find yourself if you never roam?"
The more I listen to this album the more I am liking it too. I would give this album by Band Of Skulls a 7 out of 10.Oh ya,the vinyl version of the album comes with a cool poster of the cover artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment