Saturday, November 14, 2009

Mike Plume Band @ The Brixx Bar and Grill



Thursday night Nov.12th BZ,Earl and I went to see Mike Plume for the second time in a few months. This was my third time seeing him play live, but the first time I had seen him play with his full band. This show was originally billed and booked for the Starlite Room, but was moved at the last moment to The Brixx, which is in the same building, but in the basement and a way smaller venue and not near as good as the Starlite Room. So that was a disapoinment. Nothing worse then going to a rock show and people are more into eating and chatting then checking out the tunes.
We got there for the last 2 songs of the opening act The James Murdoch Band, the little bit I heard, I thought they sounded pretty damn good actually.
Up next of course was The Mike Plume Band, who I was really looking forward to seeing. While he didn't have the guitar player I was hoping to see play with him. The guy he did have (Jackson Langley) was a really good guitar player, although I thought he was little dramatic with his playing and facial expressions. Don't get me wrong, he was a great player, I just thought he was a little too animated for my taste. Nonetheless, the whole band was on, drummer (Anastasios) bass player (Ben Wilson)Ben kept a really cool groove with great background vocals and at times seemed like he was playing rhythm guitar and not bass, excellent bass player. And of course Mike was sounding awesome, they were really layin' it down. Mike is one of my favorite song writers these days. They played songs from their whole catalog of music. Some of my favorite tunes from the evening were, the title song from their newest album 830NFLD,Alcohol,one of my faves from his new album Like A Bullet From A Gun,Weeds,Oblivion, one of the better hockey songs ever wrote More Than A Game, plus many more. They played for 2 hours with not a boring moment through out the show. The only bummer was that he didn't play a song from his new album that I was really hoping to hear (Keeping Time With The Telephone Poles) other then that, and the venue, this was a great show. Have to say The Brixx isn't one of my top choices for a venue, too small, too may pole structures obscuring the stage and it was more a place to eat and talk then a real rock n' roll venue.
I would give this show an 8 out of 10. Also, I thought it was cool that Mike recalled my name when I went up to the merch booth to buy a couple of albums. That to me, just showed he actually does respect his fans.And takes the time to autograph CD's and have pictures taken with his fans.Kudo's to you Mike Plume!!!!
Look forward to seeing you play again soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment