Friday, November 20, 2009

Old School Album of The Week For Nov. 16th-20th


This week I pulled out an album that still stands the test of time, yet got no recognition then or now. AC/DC's album from 1985 Fly On The Wall. To me, this was the last decent album they put out til this years Black Ice album, although, I think Fly On The Wall is way better. Why, this album got no airplay and isn't really recognized is beyond me. This album kicks fucking ass!!! There isn't a bad song on this album. Sure, it's your typical AC/DC album, drinkin' and sex songs, but hell, this is way better then anything they put out in almost 25 years. And you can't go wrong with songs about sex and drinkin'. Titles like, Shake Your Foundations,Sink The Pink,Playing With Girls, Send For The Man and Danger pretty much tell you what your in for. Good times!!!!
The first song and title song Fly On The Wall opens with this verse,
"You can dance through the night
Rock roll music itchin' to fight
Makin' love drunk or stoned
Lookin' for dollars get broken boned
It's a game too tough to tame
Ends up the same, sweatin' out the rain"
I'm thinkin', what a great fucking opening verse for an album, let's rock!!!
Second song, Shake Your Foundations, is another great song, that I am surprised that they don't play live in concert very often with the great sing along chorus of
"Aye,aye,oh,shake your foundations"
My favorite line in this song is in the first verse again,
"See me leanin' on the bar
I got my head in a whiskey jar
Feelin' good,cos the city's alive
I'm gettin' ready to rock and jive"
Third song, First Blood, favorite line,
"Some like it hot
Some like it quite not so hot"
That line makes me laugh,lol.
Fourth song, Danger, favorite verse,
"Red lights are flashin'
There's been a misunderstandin'
Bruised an broken bandaged
Through drinkin' all that brandy
I was under the table but I came back for more
Gotta hit the bottle but my head hit the floor"
Oh ya, that verse brings back some memories.
Fifth song, Sink The Pink, the title says it all, this is one of the few songs from this album that gets a little bit of airplay.
Side Two,Sixth song, Playing With Girls, again, the title says it all. Favorite line.
"Highball women that are hot to touch
Legs do the talkin' speelin' out the lust"
And thats the first 2 lines, another great rocker.
Seventh song, Stand Up, Favorite line,
"Get on the red dress, slip on the lace
Up for a high heel and a pretty face"
Song eight, Hell Or High Water, the chorus is Hell Or High Water, but it sure don't sound like he is saying that, must be the Australian accent, have a listen to it, tell me what it sounds like he is sayin'.
Ninth song, Back In Business, another fun song, favorite line,
"Breakin' out, about to shout
Feel the need for one more round"
I can relate with that line :)
Tenth song, Send For The Man, Favorite line,
"This ain't a gun in my pocket
I got the goods in my hand"
I have really enjoyed listening to this album this week, brought back some good memories. My earliest memories of Fly On The Wall is my Cousin coming for a visit to Edmonton from Estevan with his buddy Shane during the summer of 85'. My parents had a camper set up in our backyard, which is where we stayed in, drinking and rocking out to AC/DC on the ol' ghetto blaster. I think this was my Cuz's first real listen to AC/DC.
Then in August of 1986, I got to experience the band in concert at the Coliseum with opening band Queensryche, what a fuckin' excellent show it was too. I remember on my way into this show, seeing people in the parking lot drinking whiskey straight from the bottle, a 60 oz'er at that. This was a rowdy show and a really good time.This is such an underrated album.
By the way, what ever happened to Simon Wright?

1 comment:

  1. Man, Shake Your Foundations used to be a song you could count on AC/DC doing live in the 80's and up into the 90's. It's a shame they don't do it anymore. I remember those shows being great, but the night's spent camping out at the Coliseum waiting for tix to go on sale in the morning, that shit was insane! It was total chaos, and i loved being in the middle of it all.

    ReplyDelete