Friday, November 13, 2009

Old School Album of The Week For Nov. 9th-13th


Well, what can I say, other then I think I should have every Friday off from work so I can over analyze the album of the week.
This week I pulled out the Black Sabbath album from 1972 Vol. 4. What a fucking great album, this is still my favorite Black Sabbath album. Every song on this album is good, right from the first line of the album to the closing line of the album. This is when Sabbath as a whole wrote great fucking songs.
The first line of the first song Wheels Of Confusion ( long ago I wandered through my mind) What a great first line and song, as soon as this album starts you know you are in for a treat, great riffs (Tony Iommi) and lyrics through out the whole labum. I get the feeling this is a relationship album. that's what I am gathering from the lyrics.
Song 2 Tomorrow's Dream - Favorite line in this song
"yes I'm leaving the sorrow and heartache,
before it takes me away from my mind"
Song 3 Changes - I have always liked this song, probably my very favorite song ever from Black Sabbath. Actually probably the best ballad ever, for me anyways! Listening to this song gives me shivers up my spine everytime I hear it. Just Ozzy's vocals and piano, a beautiful song. Favorite line in this song, actually verse
"I feel unhappy,
I feel so sad,
I lost the best friend,
That I ever had"
And that's the opening verse, you know your in for a heavy song with that kind of start. Just a great great song.
Song 4 FX - This is just some weird fucking instrumental, some weird shit this is.
Song 5 Supernaut - The start of this song is just some wicked riffing from Iommi, Tony plays some of the greatest riffs ever. Favorite line in this song
"I'm gonna climb up,
every mountain on the moon,
and find the dish,
that ran away with the spoon"
It's like a fucking nursey rhyme, I love it.
Song 6 Snowblind - Any real fan of Sabbath will know what this song is about without my expalining it. Great riff through out this song as well.
Favorite line in this song
" Fill my dreams with flakes of snow
Soon I'll feel the chilling glow"
Ya, this songs gives me shivers too.
Song 7 Cornucopia - This song starts real gloomy, with a heavy bass sound,then breaks into some wicked riffing. Favorite lines from this song
"Exciting in their plastic ways,
Frozen food we can't replace"
"You're gonna go insane,
I'm trying to save your brain"
Song 8 Laguna Sunrise - Another instrumental song, some cool acoustic playing on this song.
Song 9 St. Vitus' Dance - A Sabbath love song if you can believe it(Sabbath style of course). Favorite line in this song.
"If I were you I would try again and try to make amends,
She only thinks of you,you know I am talking as a friend"
What a great fucking line.
Song 10 Under The Sun - Another song that starts real gloomy, then breaks into some great riffing. Favorite line in this song.
" I've opened the door,
and my mind has been released"
And then the last line of the album.
"Go and live your life,
and leave them all behind"
Like I say, great lyrics from start to finish, and then the band fucking rocking hardcore, what a great album. I never get bored of hearing this album. It should be listened to from start to finish and not on random play.
Now do youself a favour and pull this classic out of your collection and listen to it.

1 comment:

  1. One of my more favorite Black Sabbath albums, this Volume 4 is. I have to say though, that I've been listening to Sabbath Bloody Sabbath lately. I think for me, it's the Sabbath album I'd want if stuck on a deserted island. For post Ozzie Sabbath, Born Again would be right up there too. What you gonna be, what you gonna be brother....Zero the hero!!!

    ReplyDelete