Friday, July 15, 2011

Tragically Hip Live in Edmonton July 14th 2011



Last night Janis and I went to the concrete jungle of Northlands Park to see The Tragically Hip in concert with openers Broken Social Scene and Hey Rosetta. We missed the opening bands, well actually caught the tail end of, I think it was Hey Rosetta, regardless, we were there for The Hip. This was my thirteenth time seeing The Hip in concert, and again Gord and the boys put on a wicked show.

The weather was awesome, the mosquitoes were a biting and the crowd was a rocking and drinking and scrapping to the left of the stage. Thank goodness we were to the right of the stage. The Hip opened with "Blow At High Dough" and following that up with, what I used to think was a mellow tune "Grace Too", they sure rocked that one last night. Gord was at his animated best on this evening, shaking his tail feather, or I guess that would be his hanky, fighting with his mic stand and riding an invisible bronco and babbling all kinds of nonsense, that for some reason, always makes sense. The band was tight, but as usual Gord stole the show with his antics. You can't help but smile and laugh when he is n his game, and he always seems to be. After seeing this band as many times as I have, I never get bored with their live performances. Gord Downie reminds me of a mix of Tom Waits,Bob Dylan,Jim Morrison and David Byrne all wrapped in one. To me, it looked like Gord had a Charlie Sheen look happening,lol. I just wish Gord wouldn't play the guitar as it takes away from his crazy antics, although, I suppose he needs a break once in a while too.

Compared to the old Another Roadside Attraction fests The Hip use to put on in the 90's, this was a much smaller crowd, about 7-8,000 people, and the beer garden I was in wasn't near as crazy as the ARA ones were.

The setlist for the show last night was more a best of, which was cool by me. For the encore they did "Kids Don't Get It" which is one of my favorite newer Hip songs. All and all a great night of music and good times. It's no wonder that The Tragically Hip are one of my all time favorite live acts.

Setlist for Edmonton show.

Blow at High Dough
Grace, Too
Love Is A First
Streets Ahead
Gift Shop
Ahead By A Century
In View
Poets
At the Hundredth Meridian
Wheat Kings
Drip Drip Drip
Fully Completely
Courage
Bobcaygeon
Nautical Disaster
Little Bones

Encore:
Kids Don't Get It
My Music at Work





















No comments:

Post a Comment