Sunday, April 10, 2011

Book Review (Phil Lesh of Grateful Dead)


I just recently finished reading a book that I have had on the bookshelf for a few years. It's a book called Searching For the Sound (My Life With The Grateful Dead) wrote by founding member and bass player for the Grateful Dead released in 2005.

I really enjoyed this book, I haven't read too much about the Dead, and feel I really learned a lot about them after reading this book. Phil originally played violin before meeting Jerry Garcia and being asked to play bass with him and eventually starting the Grateful Dead. Phil talks about the old acid tests that were going on in San Francisco back in the 60's, where they got their start performing as a band.

He talks about the many ups and downs the Dead have been through in their 30 years as a band, the deaths in the band, and the musicians that have played with the Dead through the years. Also he talks about post Dead bands he now plays in Phil Lesh and Friends, and the other band with Dead member Bob Weir called Furthur.

All and all a very good book especially if you are a fan of the Grateful Dead. I just wish I could have had the chance to see the Grateful Dead play live in concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment