Sunday, April 17, 2011

Record Store Day 2011



Yesterday Saturday April 16th was the fourth annual Record Store Day,the celebration of independent record stores around the world, for those that still actually buy their music. Record Store Day is held the third Saturday of April every year.

This year I didn't make it out to all the indie record stores in Edmonton, but I did make it to Blackbyrd Myoozik and Permanent Records on Whyte Ave. Both stores has sales and special releases and bands performing in store.

Permanent Records had bands playing all afternoon starting at 1pm. The first band I saw was a band from Vancouver called Vicious Cycles, they played a punk/garage rockabilly kind of music, kind of reminded me of The Reverend Horton Heat. I though they were pretty good and had the packed record store a rockin'.











The next act to play was local two piece band (Gravy on drums and Whitey on bass) Whitey Houston. The band haven't played too many gigs lately so it was cool to see them play a free show. This band always kicks ass and is loud for only two guys. I am sure the stores next to Permanent Records had their walls a shaking. Whitey Houston was excellent and I highly recommend seeing them play live.











It was good to see lots of people out supporting the record shops.



After Whitey Houston's set, I picked up the 7 inch single (I Got Fucked By Liberty Mutual b/w Turning) they were selling. These songs are also available on their full length self titled album that came out in 2005.

7 inch single.


Whitey Houstons song "I Got Fucked By Liberty Mutual"


My purchases for the day.

The Flaming Lips Box Set - Heady Nuggs 1992-2002 which includes 5 albums
- Hit To Death In The Future Head
- Transmissions From The Satellite Heart
- Clouds Taste Metallic
- The Soft Bulletin
- Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
This box set was limited edition release of 5790, the set I got is numbered 1242.







Bob Dylan's album "In Concert Brandeis University 1963".


Paul Simon's latest release "So Beautiful Or So What".


Mastodon and ZZ Top split 7 inch single "Just Got Paid" I like Mastodons version.


Blitzen Trapper 7 inch single "Maybe Baby b/w Soul Singer".


Bad Brains - "Pay To Cum b/w Stay Close To Me" 7 inch single.


The new Fucked Up album "David's Town".


I also bought a cassette yesterday for the first time in years. I got the Jr. Gone Wild tape called "Folk You,The Guitar Sessions".


Some old school flyers from the punk days of Edmonton at Permanent Records.

No comments:

Post a Comment