Thursday, June 2, 2011

U2 Live In Edmonton June 1st 2011



Wednesday night my buddy Hurl and I went to the sold out U2 concert here in Edmonton at Commonwealth Stadium with 65,000 other fans. This was my third time seeing U2 in concert, and first time since seeing them at the same venue in 1997 when they were on the Pop Mart Tour. While I have never been all that big of a fan of the band. It's always a spectacle to see them play these stadium shows.

Hurl and I bought our tickets about 16 months ago, as the original date of June 23rd 2010 was cancelled due to lead singer Bono, having to go for back surgery. This was the make up date finally. The tour is called the 360 degree tour, which is a good name for the tour after seeing the stage set up. It is literally a 360 degree stage, making not a bad seat in the house. Hurl and I bought cheap seats for the show, 35 dollars and were to be sitting in the nose bleeds, but upon getting to the show. I started asking some of the scalpers what they were asking for general admission floor tickets. The first guy we talked to wanted 150 bucks, we laughed at him, next guy said 80 bucks and our tickets, nope too much, next guy 40 bucks and our tickets, again too much. We were just about to give up and head in as U2 were about to hit the stage. Next thing you know, this guy comes running up to us, saying he had heard our last conversation with the ticket seller. He offered us floor tickets for 25 dollars and our tickets, Sold, we were now on our way in to the show with floor seats. So that was cool, as I always like being on the floor for pretty much any show I go to.

We got in, with little hassles, no searches or line ups, off to the beer stand and down to the floor, just in time to hear U2 open the show with the song "Even Better Than The Real Thing", I thought the first three songs the sound was a little rough, but they got that figured out and the sound was good the rest of the evening. The band sounded good, Bono sounded good too, Bono just gets on my nerves as he is so full of himself. But I suppose that is to be expected when you are one of the biggest rock stars in the world. The stage set up was awesome, the light show was great, the whole experience was excellent. A cool part of the show was when it started to rain a bit and the band broke in to the song "Singing In The Rain", they also broke in to a couple of Neil Young songs during the evening. I am glad I went to see this show, as it was really something to see. I would recommend checking out this tour if given the chance.

Oh ya, funny moment of the show. Hurl and I are on the floor, just finished smoking a few, beer sales have been cut off, dieing of thirst, when we see 4 people, pull out a airplane bottle of Crown Royal, and pass it amongst themselves, and it goes around more then once. What the hell? I just wanted to take that small little shitty bottle of rye and dump it right down my throat as the dry mouth was getting to be a bit much, holy pasties. Yup, a 50ml bottle and it goes around 4 of them more then once. We walked away laughing our asses off. What I would have done to have a nip of that whiskey,lol.

































Front.


Back.






Setlist for the Edmonton show.

Main Set: Even Better Than The Real Thing, I Will Follow, Get On Your Boots, Magnificent, Mysterious Ways, Elevation, Until the End of the World, All I Want Is You - Needle and the Damage Done, Stay, Beautiful Day - Heart of Gold, Pride, Miss Sarajevo, Zooropa, City of Blinding Lights - Singin' In The Rain, Vertigo - Rocking in the Free World, I Can't Stand the Rain - I'll Go Crazy (remix) - Discotheque - Life During Wartime - Please, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Scarlet, Walk On - You'll Never Walk Alone

Encore(s): One, Will You Love Me Tomorrow - Where the Streets Have No Name, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, With or Without You, Moment of Surrender

No comments:

Post a Comment