Saturday, September 25, 2010

Flaming Lips Live In Edmonton 09.24.10



Last night September 24th my friend A-Bomb and I went to see The Flaming Lips play in concert for the first time in Edmonton at The Edmonton Events Centre. Yay, decent show on a Friday night, too bad about the venue though. We missed the opening act Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti. I had never heard of the band before but thought, what a cool name, so I bought their newest album "Before Today" and gave it a listen a few weeks before the show. Wasn't impressed at all, therefore we decided beers would be better then checking them out.

We got to the venue just in time, as they had just hit the stage as we walked in, great timing yet again. This was my second time seeing The Lips play live (the first time being at Pemberton Music Fest in 2008),this was A-Bomb's first time seeing them. Now we have freaked out to The Lips a few times over the years, so we were stoked on checking this show out. I wasn't too sure what kind of show we were going to see, being in a club and not one of the venues I really care for. Well, all I can say is,wow, what a fucking show.

The stage set up and production of this show was big enough for a coliseum show. This is probably the biggest production I have ever seen in a club,between the lighting and huge video screen with cool images,confetti,streamers,balloons,huge disco balls and the cam on lead singer Wayne Coyne's mic the only thing missing was lasers. My only complaint I have is that I think the volume was a bit on the loud side (or maybe I'm just getting old). But if you knew The Flaming Lips music, you would have no problem picking out what they were playing. Some of the songs they did this evening was the old hit "She Don't Use Jelly" from the 1993 album "Transmissions From The Satellite Heart", then the title song from "Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots" and the song "Do You Realize" from the same album, then the hilarious song "I Can be A Frog" from their newest album Embryonic, fuck did we laugh at this song, they had the whole crowd growling like wolves,tigers,making monkey noises,meowing like cats all kinds of shit. Checkout the song and video here for this song. The y played for about an hour and a half with not a slow or boring moment through out.One disappointment was that they didn't do anything from their version of Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon.All and all an excellent evening of psychedelia and freak out music, good times!!! I would give this show a 10 out of 10. Man, I have seen some amazing shows this year.

















I would like to give a shout out to the Vancouver based artist Robert Edmonds that designed the poster for this show. I was having a hard time finding a poster for this show, so I googled the poster and found the blog for the artist that designed the Flaming Lips poster. I got a hold of him asking if there was a way of getting a poster for the show. Within a few days he got back to me and said he would look into it for me. A week later I got a package from the promoter Live Nation with a copy of the poster. Thanks Robert for going out of your way for me, much appreciated. I recommend checking out his blog and his art. Robert has done many posters for shows all over North America, he does an awesome job on his posters, an awesome artist. Click here to checkout his blog.

Here is the poster he designed.



Front.


Back.

No comments:

Post a Comment