Thursday, September 9, 2010

Gaslight Anthem Live 09/08/10



Last night Sept.8th my buddy Buzzard and I went to the Gaslight Anthem concert at the Edmonton Events Centre here in Edmonton. While I hate this venue, I wasn't about to miss seeing Gaslight Anthem in concert. We got there way too early, so we managed to see all the bands. First band of the evening was a band from Florida called Fake Problems. I had never heard them before, and wasn't much impressed at first, but by the end of their set, they had started to win me over. They have kind of a Gaslight sound to them. The guitar player for them was actually quite good, laying down some cool licks. I think I will be looking into them a little more after seeing them play live.

Next up was a band from Philadelphia called The Menzingers, another band I really hadn't heard before. They came out with a lot of energy and had a punk rock feel to them. I was impressed with this band. The bass player and guitar player both took leads in doing vocals. Good opening band.



And finally closing out the evening were headliners Gaslight Anthem from New Jersey. This was my third time seeing them perform live. I'm glad I made the trip out to the mall to see them. They rocked as per usual playing for close to two hours. They opened with the title song from their latest release American Slang and then played lots of their old hits from their previous two albums and as the night wore on started playing tunes from American Slang. Lead singer Brian Fallon sounded excellent even though he was saying he was fighting a cold. There wasn't a bad song played all night, this band is well worth all the hype they have been getting. The sold out crowd was in to it big time, with everyone singing along.I also liked how he had a smile on his face for the whole show and looks like he is really enjoying himself up on stage, a great stage presence. The band is one of the few bands that are actually playing some real rock n' roll these days. Here is hoping they stick around for a long time, as they just keep getting better and better every time I see them. All and all a great night of live music from all three bands. Good times!!! I would give this concert a 9 out of 10.















Front.

No comments:

Post a Comment