Sunday, February 27, 2011

Concert Shirt Of The Day Feb.27th (Big Sugar)

Today's t-shirt is from a Big Sugar show I saw at The Shaw Conference Centre in 1998. I originally had won passes for the Big Sugar concert at an airplane hangar in Edmonton. The promotion was part of Labatt Blue contest called 'Out Of The Blue'. At the concert they would have a draw for a trip to see a concert somewhere in the States. I had won the passes at the bowling lanes at Westmount Mall. Your name got entered every time you ordered a Labatt Blue. Lori and I hung at the bowling lanes for a night drinking Labatt all evening in the hopes of winning passes, well, lucky me, I got my name pulled and won passes.

The night of the show at The Hangar was a disaster. It had rained all day and the grounds outside the hangar was nothing but mud. Inside the hangar was a mess, not only lots of mud and rain, but it being a airplane hangar, it was just a long hall, much like a curling rink, not a whole lot of room to move with tables set up, and then to top it off, they were selling Labatt Blue for a dollar a can. You can imagine the amout of beer being slammed back that evening. It was a party alright, craziness. By the time Big Sugar hit the stage, the couple hundred people stuffed in to the hangar were well lit up and very muddy. The show didn't last very long, as the power generator kept cutting out cause of the shitty weather. Big Sugar did manage to play about 5 songs before they cancelled the show. It was by far one of the weirdest shows and venue I have been too.



To my surprise, a few weeks after this show I got a letter in the mail from Labatt's with a letter for an invite to a redo of the show this time at The Shaw Conference Centre in 1998. That show ran much smoother, with a lot more people invited and beers costing 4 dollars this time. Not quite the fiasco it was at the hangar. So I got to see Big Sugar play twice for free from winning the one contest, sweet!!!

That Big Sugar show at the hangar is one I won't soon forget. Good times!!!



Front.

No comments:

Post a Comment