Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Drive-By Truckers Live In Vancouver 03.11.11





On Friday March 11th while in Vancouver, my brother and I went to the sold out Drive-By Truckers and Heartless Bastards double bill at the Commodore Ballroom (my favorite venue to see a concert). The show was sold out but not near as rowdy and party atmosphere as the night before with Steel Panther, but then that was to be expected as Drive-By Truckers are not really a party band per se. They are a great rock n' blues band from Georgia that have been around for 10 years or so.

The first band of the night was Cincinnati's Heartless Bastards. this was my second time seeing them live, and much like the first time, lead singer Erika Wennerstrom's voice grates on me. I like her back up band, I think they rock and hold and steady groove. But her voice drives me crazy, not a fan.



Headliners of the night were Drive-By Truckers which is the main reason I went to Vancouver for the weekend. This was my first time seeing them live, and they didn't disappoint. They are touring for their awesome new album 'Go-Go Boots' which is a darker more blues influenced album compared to their other releases.

During their to hour set there wasn't a bad tune in the mix. While I don't know the titles of their songs all that well, I do know they played the title track from the new album as well as "The Righteous Path" which is one of my brothers favorites, "Ronnie & Neil" was another, "Everybody Needs Love" which is a song that I really dig, and my favorite song of the evening "Let There Be Rock" from their album 'Southern Rock Opera', and no it's not an AC/DC cover. I really like dhow Patterson Hood and Mike Cooley traded off on singing songs, both doing about the same amount of songs.



After two hours, I felt they were really starting to hit there groove, or maybe I was just getting even more in to it, but I could have listened to them a lot longer, they have been known to put on 3 hour shows, but not this night, which is to bad. Nonetheless, an excellent night of music by the Drive-By Truckers.















Front.


Again, thanks to my brother Citrus for picking up tickets for the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment