Sunday, November 28, 2010

Big Sugar In Concert 11/27/10



Last night my buddy Hurl and I made our way to downtown Edmonton for the free outdoor Big Sugar concert that was part of the Grey Cup Festivities. This was my eleventh time seeing Big Sugar in concert, and the first time seeing them since New Years Eve of 2003 which was supposed to be their last show ever. The band reunited this summer for some festival shows, but never made there way here til this show. I wasn't so sure how much I was going to enjoy the show, having been getting into lead guitarists Gordie Johnson's new band Grady. Why I even questioned it, I don't know. Cause again, they put on an extremely excellent show. It was good to see Big Sugar together again with original members Mr. Chill (Kelly Hoppe) on harp,horns and backing vocals, the grooviest bass player ever Garry Lowe keeping the groove and of course Gordie Johnson on guitar, they had Safwan Javed from Wide Mouth Mason on drums.

The 75 minute set started with the song Brothers and Sisters, Are You Ready?, and from there we heard all the hits. So good to hear the old rock n' reggae music of Big Sugar again, the way they meld songs together and jam, brought back a lot of memories from previous shows I had seen from them. Other songs in the set were, Dear Mr. Fantasy (Traffic cover),the rocking Ride On, the awesome reggae beat of Diggin' A Hole, If I had My Way, Turn The Lights On, I'm A Ram, All Over Now, Sugar In My Coffee, Turn The Lights On and closing the night out with All Hell For A Basement which had the whole crowd singing along, then Gordie closing the night out with the Canadian National Anthem. You could tell by the end of the set it was getting a little chilly there up on stage and in the crowd, the temperature at dropped to about -10 degree celsius with the wind picking up as well. Ol' Gordie even mentioned that it was getting a little cold and hard to keep the guitar in tune. All and all a really fun night of great music from a band that never disappoints, and all for free. Good job on whoever selected Big Sugar to close out the downtown concert aeries for the Grey Cup festivities and thanks to Big Sugar for dealing with the elements and playing. I give this show a 10 out of 10. Good times!!!



Gordie Johnson.








Garry Lowe On Bass.






Mr. Chill On Harp.




Mr. Chill and Gordie.






No comments:

Post a Comment