Thursday, November 25, 2010

Gordie Johnson Guitar Clinic 11/24/10



So, yesterday Grady was playing in town (Edmonton) at Union Hall, but I wasn't able to make it to the show. But lucky me, walking to work yesterday morning I noticed a poster in the window of Avenue Guitars advertising a guitar clinic by Gordie Johnson of Grady at The Varscona Hotel that same evening. Well after work I rushed home downed a couple of cold ones and made my way to The Varscona for the clinic.

It was just Gordie in a small room with about 30 people in attendance, watching and listening to him play an acoustic guitar, very intimate and very awesome. He opened with the Big Sugar song "All Hell For A Basement", he then took the time to chat about all things music and more. He talked about certain tunings he uses for certain songs, how he goes about writing songs. He asked the audience to ask anything they wanted. I felt like I got to know him more on a personal level and got to know his up bringing in the music business. There was a lot of talking between him and the audience, with some really good questions and some guitar tech jargon. He played about 8-10 songs in the 90 minute clinic, also playing the blues traditional song "Motherless Children", a couple other Big Sugar songs and ended the evening with a wicked acoustic version of Grady's song "Alberta Bones". At the end of the clinic Gordie took the time to autograph some posters and his new Grady CD Calling All my Demons the Live in Winnipeg album.

It sure made up for having to miss his concert at Union Hall last night. That was one of the few times I didn't make it to one of his shows in the city here. I have said it before, and I will say it again. Gordie is one of the best guitar players in the world right now, hands down. A big thanks goes out to Gordie and Avenue Guitars for putting on a very special performance.





No comments:

Post a Comment