Saturday, October 16, 2010

Johnny Winter Book Review



Just finished reading a biography on blues legend Johnny Winter wrote by Mary Lou Sullivan released this year on Backbeat Books. I have been a big fan of Johnny for years but have never really read much about him other then the odd article here and there in magazines, so when I saw this book in the book store I had to grab it.

I was quite impressed with the read, I have to say. I got to understand his background a bit more and now understand why the show I saw of him back in 2001 here in Edmonton was so bad, and why he looked like he was going to die right there in front of my eyes while on stage. Here is one of many bands from the 60's and 70's that got totally screwed over by bad managers that took advantage of him and bad record deals. That and johnny dependence on heroin and medication that no one would help him get off of. Kind of sad actually to hear it from his own words. Nice to see Johnny is now doing much better and has a manager that actually cares about him and not just about the money. If your a fan of Johnny Winter or the blues, this is a must read. Very interesting. Long live Johnny Winter!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment