Friday, August 16, 2019

Def Leppard and Tesla Live in Edmonton July 29th 2019


Damn, it's already been over two weeks ago since Janis and I went to the Def Leppard and Tesla double bill at Rogers Place. I myself was only interested in seeing Tesla so wasn't going to go but Janis had never seen Def Leppard before and really likes them. So we managed to get cheap tickets and decided to go. The last time I had seen Def Leppard was back in 1988 and who was opening for them back then but Tesla. These two bands are have been tour mates many a times. Phil Collen the guitarist for Def Leppard actually produced Tesla's latest album Shock.

We made sure to get to Rogers in plenty of time to catch openers Tesla. This would be my fifth time seeing them in concert. I've always been a huge fan of this band, especially their first three albums. As we were getting ready for Tesla to start, two guitarists came out on stage under a spotlight and started wailing away, I wasn't sure at first if this was part of soundcheck or start of the show, but as I listened and looked, I could see that it was actually Dave Rude and Frank Hannon given'r on the guitar, this went on for almost two minutes and then out came lead singer Jeff Keith and they kicked into "Cumin' Atcha Live", a great opening song. By this time the coliseum was starting to fill up. After the opening song, which fucking rocked, they went into "Modern Day Cowboy" two songs from their 1986 debut album Mechanical Resonance, and next up was "Heaven's Trail (No Way Out)" another awesome song this one from their second album The Great Radio Controversy. What a great three song opening. The guitars were super loud, lead singer Jeff Keith hasn't lost a beat, he sounded just like he did back in the day. Kind of a Steven Tyler junior. His between song banter is a bit hokey, but then it always has been, ne more then makes up for that minor flaw with his singing and energy. I thought their 11 song set was excellent, great song choices, they made the best of their 50 minute opening slot. By the time they finished the place was filling up good. I really enjoyed them and am very happy that I went to see them in concert again.

Setlist.

Tesla at Rogers Place.

Next up was headliner Def Leppard. This would be my second time seeing them in concert, I could have swore I had seen them more times, but I guess not. I gave up on them with the Hysteria album.

What surprised me most about this show was how many people there were. By the time Def Leppard came on stage the place was packed. I didn't expect much of a crowd, considering we got half price tickets a week before the show. My guess would be about 14,000 in attendance, I had no idea that Def Leppard still drew that kind of crowd. Another surprise was the production of their show, wow, big stage, big lighting, lasers, huge screen behind them. I really wasn't expecting all that for a band that to me hasn't been relative in many years. But for all those there, they were rocking the hell out, including my Sweetie Janis. she was rocking, and singing to all the songs. Def Leppard's selection of songs was good for any old school fan. Lots of songs from the Hysteria album, that was the most dominant album of the whole show. But there was also some from the Pyromania album, songs like "Foolin'", the two songs they played for the encore were "Rock Of Ages" and "Photograph". A great way to end the show. I really liked that they also played two songs from the High "n" Dry album ""Bringin' On the Heartbreak" and "Let It Go".

The band sounded pretty good, lead singer Joe Elliott doesn't have the pipes he used to have, not that I really thought he did in the first place, but the rest of the band which still includes Phil Collen on guitar, Rick Savage on bass, one armed drummer Rick Allen who looked like he was having the most fun playing, and the newest member whom has been with the band since 1992 Vivian Campbell. It was a fun show all around. I'm glad I went. Good times!!!

Def Leppard at Rogers Place.

No comments:

Post a Comment