Saturday, September 21, 2024

Marcus King Band Live in Edmonton September 7th 2024

 


  A couple of weeks ago my buddy Buzzard and I went to the Marcus King concert at the Midway music Hall here in Edmonton. This was my first time seeing a show at this venue, which is basically a long gutted warehouse, back in the day it used to be Barry T's for those that remember the 80's and 90's.

 Opening the show was singer/songwriter Leah Blevins from Kentucky now based in Nashville. She plays a country style of music with a touch of gospel. It was just her playing solo. Her music was alright but nothing I would rush out to buy. From where we were standing, there were too many people chatting more so then listening, so it was kind of hard to hear.

Leah Blevins.




 Headlining the evening was South Carolina blues-man Marcus King and his band. I had heard and read a lot of good things about Marcus, which got me to stream a few of his albums. After listening to his albums I wasn't all that impressed to be honest. The one album I did really like is his 2022 album Young Blood. Marcus is on the road touring for his latest album Mood Swings. Am album that I just can't get into. What got me into wanting to see Marcus in concert was catching him on an episode of Austin City Limits. The performance I watched was incredible, he was ripping it up on the guitar and his singing was awesome. After that episode, I knew I wasn't gonna miss him the next time he came through town. And now that time came.

 Marcus's style of music is a mix of blues, country, southern rock and contemporary blues. He opened his show with a rockin' tune but then the next couple songs were in the contemporary mood kind of blues, which to be honest, did nothing for me. I want to hear him rip it up with some rocking blues music. Marcus is a great guitar player and has an awesome voice, although I found the sound on this evening was muddy. The closer to the stage you got the better the sound. But when we were standing back, the sound wasn't great. He did play a few songs from his album Young Blood that I really wanted to hear such as "Lie,Lie,Lie" and "Good And Gone" and maybe another but I'm not real good with the song titles of his music, as I am new to his stuff for the most part. He also of course did some tunes from his latest album Mood Swings, like "Fuck My Life Up Again", that one I knew. There were a couple of cover songs thrown in to the set as well. All and all it was a good show and I'd go see him again. I'd love to see him play the blues festival here sometime, that would be a great addition. Good times!!!

Marcus King.












No comments:

Post a Comment